Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Karin J Blakemore, M.D.
Director, Prenatal Genetics, Prenatal Diagnostic Center
Professor of Gynecology and Obstetrics
Expertise: Gynecology and Obstetrics, Human Genetics, Maternal and Fetal Medicine, Multiple Gestations, Obstetrics
Research Interests: Fetal genetic disorders; Fetal imaging; In Utero Bone Marrow Transplantation; Hemoglobinopathies; Red cell and platelet alloimmunization; Intrapartum physiology and outcomes; Placental development and abnormalities ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Medicine - Green Spring Station
Appointment Phone: 410-583-2749
10755 Falls Road
Pavilion I Suite 420
Lutherville, MD 21093 map
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Main Entrance)
Appointment Phone: 410-502-3200
1800 Orleans St.
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Karin Blakemore, M.D., is the director of prenatal genetics at the prenatal diagnostic center in the Johns Hopkins Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, and she is a member of the McKusick-Nathans Institute of Genetic Medicine. Her areas of clinical expertise include fetal imaging and fetal genetic disorders. Dr. Blakemore also serves as a professor of oncology and of gynecology and obstetrics in the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
Dr. Blakemore earned her medical degree from the University of Toledo’s College of Medicine. She completed her residency at New York University Medical Center and performed fellowships in genetics at Yale University School of Medicine and in maternal and fetal medicine at Washington University School of Medicine.
She holds certifications in clinical genetics, maternal and fetal medicine, and obstetrics and gynecology. Her research interests include in utero bone marrow transplantation, hemoglobinopathies, red cell and platelet alloimmunization, intrapartum physiology and outcomes, and placental development and abnormalities.
Dr. Blakemore serves on the editorial board of Fetal Diagnosis and Therapy and The Journal of Maternal-Fetal & Neonatal Medicine. She is also a member of the Maternal-Fetal Medicine Network Units Advisory Board for the National Institute of Child-Health and Human Development. She serves on the committee on ethics for the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and on the board of directors for the Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine.
- Director, Prenatal Genetics, Prenatal Diagnostic Center
- Professor of Gynecology and Obstetrics
- Professor of Oncology
Centers & Institutes
- MD; Medicine, University of Toledo College of Medicine and Life Sciences (1978)
- New York University Medical Center / Obstetrics and Gynecology (1982)
- Yale School of Medicine / Genetics (1985)
- Washington University School of Medicine / Maternal & Fetal Medicine (1987)
- American Board of Medical Genetics and Genomics / Clinical Genetics / MD (1984)
- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology / Maternal and Fetal Medicine (1990, 2017)
- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology / Obstetrics And Gynecology (1988, 2017)
Research & Publications
Activities & Honors
- Fetal Diagnosis and Therapy
Editorial Board Member
- Journal of Maternal-Fetal and Neonatal Medicine
Editorial Board Member
- National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
Member, Maternal-Fetal Medicine Network Units Advisory Board
- The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
Member, Committee on Ethics
- The Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine
Board of Directors
- Working Group 3 - Discussion of Ethical, Legal and Social Issues, Prenatal Gene Transfer: Scientific, Medical and Ethical Issues, The Third Gene Therapy Policy Conference, National Institutes of Health