I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Donald Harry Shaffner, Jr, M.D.
Director, Pediatric Anesthesia and Critical Care Medicine Division
Associate Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
Expertise: Anesthesiology, Critical Care
Research Interests: Neurologic injury from global ischemia caused by cardiac arrest and resuscitation; Prevention of post-injury hyperthermia in children with head trauma; Mechanisms involved in neurologic injury from global ischemia caused by cardiac arrest and resuscitation ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Main Entrance)
Appointment Phone: 410-955-6412
1800 Orleans St.
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Donald H. Shaffner is an associate professor of anesthesiology and critical care medicine and pediatrics at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He is an expert in critical care medicine. Dr. Shaffner serves as the director of the Pediatric Anesthesia and Critical Care Medicine Division at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.
Dr. Shaffner earned his M.D. from the University of Virginia School of Medicine. He completed a residency in pediatrics at Rainbow Babies and Children’s Hospital and a residency in anesthesiology at The Johns Hopkins Hospital. Dr. Shaffner performed a fellowship in pediatric anesthesia and critical care at The Johns Hopkins Hospital.
His research interests include the mechanisms involved in neurologic injury from global ischemia caused by cardiac arrest and resuscitation, the prevention of post-injury hyperthermia in children with head trauma and the neurologic outcomes of children who survive cardiac arrest.
Dr. Shaffner is a member of the Society of Critical Care Medicine and a fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics. He has published numerous articles on CPR and has been both moderator and speaker at national CPR meetings.
- Director, Pediatric Anesthesia and Critical Care Medicine Division
- Associate Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
- Associate Professor of Pediatrics
Centers & Institutes
- MD, University of Virginia School of Medicine (1982)
- American Board of Anesthesiology / Anesthesiology (1990)
- American Board of Anesthesiology / Pediatric Anesthesiology (2013)
- American Board of Pediatrics / Pediatric Critical Care Medicine (1990)
- American Board of Pediatrics / Pediatrics (1986)
Activities & Honors
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Society of Critical Care Medicine