Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Maura J McGuire, M.D.
Assistant Dean for Part-Time Faculty
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Languages: English, Spanish
Expertise: Primary Care
Research Interests: Medical education; Improving safety and quality in primary care
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Community Physicians - Remington
Appointment Phone: 667-312-2400
2700 Remington Ave.
Baltimore, MD 21211 map
Dr. Maura J. McGuire is an assistant professor of medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. She holds a joint appointment in health policy and management at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. Her area of clinical expertise is primary care.
She serves as the assistant dean for part-time faculty and the director of the longitudinal clerkship. She is also the director of education and training for Johns Hopkins Community Physicians (JHCP).
Dr. McGuire matriculated in the School of Medicine in 1979 after receiving her degree in chemical and biomedical engineering at Carnegie Mellon University, where she also studied fine arts. She completed her medical training as a member of the Osler housestaff and subsequently as a fellow in hematology. Since joining the faculty in 1989 in the Division of General Internal Medicine, she has taught primary care and hospital medicine to 20 generations of Osler housestaff and has mentored dozens of residents and fellows.
Among her honors are the School of Medicine’s Professor’s Award for Excellence in Teaching in Clinical Sciences, the Alpha-Omega Alpha Part-Time Faculty Teaching Award and several Department of Medicine resident teaching awards.
- Assistant Dean for Part-Time Faculty
- Director of the Longitudinal Clerkship
- Director of Education and Training, Johns Hopkins Community Physicians
- Assistant Professor of Medicine
Centers & Institutes
- MD; Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (1983)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Internal Medicine (1986)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Hematology (1989)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (1988)
Research & Publications
Dr. McGuire’s research focuses on the use of education to improve the safety and quality of primary care, with a special focus on the impact of electronic medical records and care delivery optimization. She also evaluates the use of assessment and technology to enhance learning in health care professionals and primary care physicians.
Activities & Honors
- Professor’s Award for Excellence in Teaching, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 2008
- Alpha Omega Alpha Award for Part-time Faculty, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 2007
- Ambulatory Preceptor Award, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 2007
- Department of Pediatrics Award, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 2000
- Department of Medicine Part-Time Faculty Award, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 2005
- Department of Medicine Part-Time Faculty Award, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 1993
- Managing Board Member, Institute for Excellence in Education, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine