I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Donna Magid, M.D.
Director, JHU SOM Horizontal Strand in Diagnostic Imaging
Professor of Radiology and Radiological Science
Expertise: Diagnostic Radiology, Emergency Medicine Radiology, Joint Injections, Musculoskeletal Radiology
Research Interests: Medical Student Education
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
600 N. Wolfe Street
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr Donna Magid, a Johns Hopkins Medicine Professor of Diagnostic Radiology, holds joint appointments in Orthopaedic Surgery and Functional Anatomy and Evolution. As Director of both the JHU SOM Horizontal Strand in Diagnostic Imaging, and Undergraduate Medical Education in Radiology, she developes and oversees educational programs and curriculae from Gross Anatomy through the Transition to Wards and clinical years to ensure a firm foundation in and comprehension of the intelligent, safe, effective use of imaging in medical practice and of appropriate consultation with Diagnostic Imagers. Dr Magid is also recognized nationally and by the students for intense involvement with career mentoring and The Match, professionalism, and the 'Hidden Curriculum", emphasizing precise appropriate use of medical English and the non-verbal aspects of professional demeanor and comportment. Her areas of clinical specialization include Musculoskeletal and Emergency Medicine radiography and joint procedures, including aspirations and pain-response studies, particularly in difficult patients who might otherwise require anesthesia for same.
After receiving her BS summa cum laude in Psychology at Tufts University in Boston, she completed an M.Ed in Adolescent Psychology at Boston University. Her MD from Johns Hopkins School of Medicine was followed by one year out of the JHU system for internship at Harvard's Cambridge Hospital in Boston, after which she returned to JHM for Radiology Residency, Radiology Fellowship in CT and US , and subsequent faculty positions. Her career has been 'biphasic'; after a decade focused on nationally recognized Orthopaedic and Body CT research, she became heavily engaged with medical student and resident education and mentoring. After a decade as Co-Director of Resident Selection and Assistant Residency Program Director she shifted her focus, as she participated in the development and debut of JHU SOM's new curriculum, to the success of that curriculum and to the medical students.
This focus and passion has been rewarded with multiple awards both at Hopkins and nationally, for teaching excellence and for published research in radiology education. Dr. Magid is Board certified in Diagnostic Radiology by the American Board of Radiology, and is participating in the writing and design of the ABR's new national mandated licensing exam for Diagnostic Radiology.
- Director, JHU SOM Horizontal Strand in Diagnostic Imaging
- Director, Clinical Elective in RadiologyDirector
- Professor of Radiology and Radiological Science
- Joint Appointment in Orthopaedic Surgery
- Professor of Functional Anatomy and Evolution
- MD, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (1979)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Radiology (1983)
- American Board of Radiology / Diagnostic Radiology (1983)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- Marker DR, Juluru K, Long C, Magid D. "Strategic improvements for gross anatomy web-based teaching." Anat Res Int. 2012; 2012:146262. doi: 10.1155/2012/146262. Epub 2011 Dec 14.
- Marker DR, Bansal AK, Juluru K, Magid D. "Developing a radiology-based teaching approach for gross anatomy in the digital era." Acad Radiol. 2010 Aug; 17(8):1057-65. doi: 10.1016/j.acra.2010.02.016. Epub 2010 May 5.
- Magid D, Hudson DW, Feigin DS. "Chest radiographic anatomy retention: the impact of preclinical groundwork on clinical recall in two schools." Acad Radiol. 2009 Nov; 16(11):1443-7. doi: 10.1016/j.acra.2009.07.012.
- Mark H, Irwin K, Sternberg M, Anderson L, Magid D, Stiffman M. "Providers' perceived barriers to sexually transmitted disease care in 2 large health maintenance organizations." Sex Transm Dis. 2008 Feb; 35(2):184-9.
- Magid D. "Building a Vertical Advisory system: how to succeed as an educator and mentor without going insane." Acad Radiol. 2007 Aug; 14(8):992-7.
Activities & Honors
- Alpha Omega Alpha, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 2009
- Joseph and Nancy Whitley Award, Research in Radiology Education, Association of University Radiologists, 2007
- George S. Stuart Teaching Award, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 2007
- George S. Stuart Teaching Award, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 2004
- Associate Physician, Baltimore Orioles at Camden Yards
- Director, Radiology Medical Elective, 1997
- Radiologist, Rwanda Mountain Gorilla Species Survival Plan