Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Lorraine Claire Racusen, M.D.
Director, Renal Pathology Laboratory
Professor of Pathology
Expertise: Pathology, Transplant Pathology
Research Interests: Acute renal failure; Renal transplantation
Dr. Lorraine Racusen is a professor of pathology at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Her area of clinical expertise is transplant pathology. Dr. Racusen also serves as the director of the Renal Pathology Laboratory.
Dr. Racusen earned her M.D. from University of Vermont. She performed fellowships in pathology at The Johns Hopkins Hospital and University of North Carolina School of Medicine as well as a fellowship in gastroenterology at Yale University School of Medicine.
Dr. Racusen's research interests include nephropathology, acute renal failure and renal transplantation. She is a member at the Renal Pathology Lab, which provides renal biopsy interpretation for nephrologists all across the country.
She is past-president of the Renal Pathology Society and was awarded the Jacob Churg Award for achievements in renal pathology. She is a member of the editorial board of the Journal of the American Society of Nephrology and of Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology and a fellow of the American Society of Nephrology.
Dr. Racusen travels extensively nationally and internationally speaking on native and transplant kidney pathology.
- Director, Renal Pathology Laboratory
- Professor of Pathology
Departments / Divisions
- Pathology - Kidney-Urologic Pathology
Centers & Institutes
- MD, University of Vermont College of Medicine (1975)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Pathology (1983)
- American Board of Pathology / Anatomic Pathology (1984)
Research & Publications
Dr. Racusen’s research focuses on injury to the kidney, morphologic aspects of native kidney and renal allograft injury and rejection, utilizing in-house biopsies and consultant cases, and computerized morphometric techniques.
She and her team are currently studying pathologic correlates of antibody-mediated rejection, assessment of chronic changes in renal allografts, and urinary molecule markers of renal allograft rejection. They are also collaborating with colleagues in nephrology to characterize animal models of acute and chronic renal injury.
Technology Expertise KeywordsPathology, Transplant Pathology
- Racusen LD, Colvin RB, Solez K, Mihatsch MJ, Halloran PF, Campbell PM, Cecka MJ, Cosyns JP, Demetris AJ, Fishbein MC, Fogo A, Furness P, Gibson IW, Glotz D, Hayry P, Hunsickern L, Kashgarian M, Kerman R, Magil AJ, Montgomery R, Morozumi K, Nickeleit V, randhawa P, Regele H, Seron D, Seshan S, Sund S, Trpkov K. "Antibody-mediated rejection criteria - An addition to the Banff 97 classification of renal allograft rejection." Am J Transplant, 2003 Jun; 3(6):708-14.
- Racusen LC, Solez K, Colvin R. "Fibrosis and atrophy in the renal allograft - Interim report and new directions." Am J Transplan 2002 Mar; 2(3):203-6.
- Solez K, Racusen LC. "Role of the renal biopsy in acute renal failure." Contrib. Nephrol. 2001;132: 68-75.
- Messias NC, Eustace J, Zachary AA, Tucker PC, Charney D, Racusen LC. "Cohost study of the prognostic significance of acute transplant glomerulitisin acutely rejecting renal allografts." Transplantation 2001; 74: 655-60.
Activities & Honors
- Mellon Clinician-Scientist Award: Public Health Service fellowship award
- NIH R-01s
- Fellow, American Society of Nephrology
- McAllister lecturer, Yale University
- Jacob Churg Award, Renal Pathology Society for contributions to renal pathology
- American Society of Nephrology
- American Society of Transplantation
- United States-Canadian Academy of Pathology
- Co-organizer, Banff Conferences on Allograft Pathology, 1993 - 2003
- Co-organizer, International Symposia on Acute Renal Failure, 1988 - 1991
- Councillor, Renal Pathology Society
- Editor, Solid Organ Transplant Rejection
- Editor, Kidney Transplant Rejection
Editions 2 and 3
- Editorial board, Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology
- Former president, International Renal Pathology Society