Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Patrick C Walsh, M.D.
University Distinguished Service Professor of Urology
Professor of Urology
Expertise: Prostate Cancer, Urologic Surgery, Urology
Research Interests: Prostate Cancer
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
Appointment Phone: 410-955-6100
601 N. Caroline St.
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 410-955-6100
600 N. Wolfe Street
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Patrick C. Walsh is a professor of urology at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. He is recognized internationally as a pioneer in the diagnosis and treatment of prostate cancer.
Dr. Walsh is best known for his pioneering work in the development of "the anatomic approach to radical prostatectomy," which involves nerve-sparing techniques that have reduced the probability of impotence and incontinence, and for his 30 years as director of the Brady Urological Institute. He has also made major contributions to the basic understanding of benign and malignant neoplasms of the prostate. Along with co-workers, he was the first to describe the 5 alpha-reductase enzyme deficiency, to develop an experimental technique for the induction of benign prostatic hyperplasia, to demonstrate the influence of reversible androgen deprivation on BPH, and to characterize hereditary prostatic cancer.
Dr. Walsh received his undergraduate and medical training at Case Western Reserve University. After an internship and junior residency in surgery at the Peter Bent Brigham Hospital in Boston, he conducted an assistant residency in pediatric surgery at The Children''s Hospital Medical Center in Boston, and a residency in urology as well as a fellowship in endocrinology at the University of California Los Angeles, School of Medicine.
He joined the faculty of Johns Hopkins in 1974. In 2004 he was named University Distinguished Service Professor of Urology.
Dr. Walsh has received dozens of national and international awards and honors. He has authored or co-authored more than 600 articles and three books, including a best-seller for lay people titled The Prostate: A Guide for Men and the Women Who Love Them. For 25 years he was the editor-in-chief of Campbell''s Textbook of Urology, which has been renamed in his honor. He is on the editorial board of the New England Journal of Medicine, is a member of numerous international professional organizations and has served as the president of both the American Association of Genitourinary Surgeons and the Clinical Society of Genitourinary Surgeons.
- University Distinguished Service Professor of Urology
- Professor of Urology
Departments / Divisions
Centers & Institutes
- MD, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine (1964)
- Childrens Hospital / Pediatric Surgery (1967)
- Peter Bent Brigham Hospital / Surgery (1967)
- Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center / Urology (1971)
- UCLA Harbor Medical Center GME Office / Endocrinology (1970)
- American Board of Urology / Urology (1975)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- Walsh PC. "Re: prostate-specific antigen screening trials and prostate cancer deaths: the androgen deprivation connection." J Natl Cancer Inst. 2014 Feb 1;106(2):djt432. doi: 10.1093/jnci/djt432. Epub 2014 Jan 7. No abstract available.
- Mohler JL, Kantoff PW, Armstrong AJ, Bahnson RR, Cohen M, D'Amico AV, Eastham JA, Enke CA, Farrington TA, Higano CS, Horwitz EM, Kawachi MH, Kuettel M, Lee RJ, Macvicar GR, Malcolm AW, Miller D, Plimack ER, Pow-Sang JM, Richey S, Roach M 3rd, Rohren E, Rosenfeld S, Small EJ, Srinivas S, Stein C, Strope SA, Tward J, Walsh PC, Shead DA, Ho M. "Prostate cancer, version 1.2014." J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2013 Dec 1;11(12):1471-9.
- Walsh PC. "Survival in the prostate cancer prevention trial." N Engl J Med. 2013 Nov 14;369(20):1967. doi: 10.1056/NEJMc1311498#SA1. No abstract available.
- Murphy DG, Ahlering T, Catalona WJ, Crowe H, Crowe J, Clarke N, Cooperberg M, Gillatt D, Gleave M, Loeb S, Roobol M, Sartor O, Pickles T, Wootten A, Walsh PC, Costello AJ. "The Melbourne Consensus Statement on the Early Detection of Prostate Cancer." BJU Int. 2013 Nov 8. doi: 10.1111/bju.12556. [Epub ahead of print] No abstract available.
- Teerlink CC, Thibodeau SN, McDonnell SK, Schaid DJ, Rinckleb A, Maier C, Vogel W, Cancel-Tassin G, Egrot C, Cussenot O, Foulkes WD, Giles GG, Hopper JL, Severi G, Eeles R, Easton D, Kote-Jarai Z, Guy M, Cooney KA, Ray AM, Zuhlke KA, Lange EM, Fitzgerald LM, Stanford JL, Ostrander EA, Wiley KE, Isaacs SD, Walsh PC, Isaacs WB, Wahlfors T, Tammela T, Schleutker J, Wiklund F, Grönberg H, Emanuelsson M, Carpten J, Bailey-Wilson J, Whittemore AS, Oakley-Girvan I, Hsieh CL, Catalona WJ, Zheng SL, Jin G, Lu L, Xu J; International Consortium for Prostate Cancer Genetics, Camp NJ, Cannon-Albright LA. "Association analysis of 9,560 prostate cancer cases from the International Consortium of Prostate Cancer Genetics confirms the role of reported prostate cancer associated SNPs for familial disease." J Hum Genet. 2013 Oct 26. [Epub ahead of print].
Activities & Honors
- Francis Amory Prize, American Academy of Arts and Sciences, 2012
- Doctor Honoris Causa, Medical School of the University of Athens, 2010
- Heritage Award, Johns Hopkins University Alumni Association, 2009
- Honorary member, Turkish Association of Urology, 2008
- Honorary member, American Urological Association, 2007
- Diversity Recognition Award, Johns Hopkins University, 2007
- National Physician of the Year for Clinical Excellence, by America's Top Doctors, 2007
- King Faisal International Prize in Medicine, 2007
- Doctor Medicinae Honoris Causa, Masarykova Univerzita, Brno, Czech Republic, 2007
- Honorary Member, Royal College of Surgeons of England, 2004
- Ramon Guiteras Award, American Urological Association, 2004
- Clifford J. Voght Alumni Service Award, Case Western Reserve University, 2004
- John Carroll Society Medal, 2004
- 75th Abraham Colles Lecturer, Honorary member - Royal College of Surgeons In Ireland, 2003
- Charles Huggins Award, Society of Urologic Oncology, 2003
- Irish American Magazines Top 100, 2002
- Sir Peter Freyer Memorial Medal, University College, Galway, Ireland, 2000
- Distinguished Service Award, American Urological Association, 2000
- Featured in Alpha Omega Alpha Leaders in American Medicine Videotape Series, 1999
- Golden Plate Award, American Academy of Achievement, 1997
- The Charles F. Kettering Medal, General Motors Cancer Research Foundation, 1996
- Hugh Hampton Young Award, American Urological Association, 1996
- Institute of Medicine, National Academy of Sciences, 1995
- Barringer Medal, American Association of Genitourinary Surgeons, 1995
- Dornier Innovative Research Award, American Foundation for Urologic Disease, 1994
- Ramon Guiteras Lecturer, American Urological Association Meeting, 1993
- Ellen Browning Scripps Society Medal, 1993
- Grand Officer of the Order of Leopold, The Kingdom of Belgium (Presented by King Baudoin), 1992
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, 1991
- Johns Hopkins Minority Faculty Association Award for Outstanding, Support of the Minority Medical Community, 1990
- The Academy of Medicine of New Jersey Award for Distinguished Contributions to Urology, 1990
- Triennial Eugene Fuller Prostate Award, American Urological Association, 1986
- The Golden Eagle Award, Council on Nontheatrical Events, 1985
- William R. Smart Film Award, American Urological Association, 1985
- Gold Cystoscope Award, American Urological Association, 1978
- First Prize for Clinical Research, American Urological Association, 1974
- First Prize for Laboratory Research, American Urological Association, 1970
- Alpha Omega Alpha, 1964
- American Academy of Achievement
- American Association of Genito-Urinary Surgeons
- American College of Surgeons, 1976 - 1980
- American Fertility Society
- American Society of Andrology
- American Surgical Association
- American Urological Association
- American Urological Association, Mid-Atlantic Section
- Baltimore Monthly Medical Society
- British Association of Urologic Surgeons, 1998
- Clinical Society of Genito-Urinary Surgeons
- Comite Internacional de Andrologia (CIDA)
- Endocrine Society
- German Society of Urology
- Honorary Royal College of Surgeons of England, 2004
- Honorary Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland, 2004
- International Rotary Foundation, 1999
Paul Harris Fellow
- Irish Society of Urology
- Peripatetic Club
- Society of University Surgeons
- Society of Urologic Oncology
- U.S. Section, Societe Internationale d'Urologie
- Urological Investigators Forum
- Urological Society of Australasia
- President, American Association of Genitourinary Surgeons
- President, Clinical Society of Genitourinary Surgeons