I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
David M Yousem, M.B.A., M.D.
Vice Chairman of Radiology
Professor of Radiology and Radiological Science
Expertise: Diagnostic Radiology, Head and Neck Cancers, Neuroimaging
Research Interests: Health Economics; Advanced Imaging; Demyelinating disorders; Head and Neck Cancer; Brain Tumors
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Main Entrance)
Appointment Phone: 443-997-7237
1800 Orleans St.
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 410-550-2948
4940 Eastern Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
Dr. David M. Yousem is the Vice Chairman of Radiology, Director of Neuroradiology and Professor in the Johns Hopkins Medicine Department of Radiology and Radiological Science. He specializes in neuroimaging.
Dr. Yousem received his B.S. and M.D. degrees at the University of Michigan. He completed a radiology residency at Johns Hopkins and a two-year fellowship in neuroradiology at the University of Pennsylvania. He received his M.B.A. at Johns Hopkins University in 2003.
Dr. Yousem's expertise spans the full gamut of neuroradiology techniques including computed tomography (CT), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), angiography, myelography, CT guided aspirations and biopsies, functional MRI, diffusion and perfusion imaging, MR/CT angiography, and 3-D reconstructions. He is a noted authority on disorders of the brain, spine, head and neck, olfaction, cranial neuropathies and neurodegeneration.
Dr. Yousem has authored or edited four books—Neuroradiology: THE REQUISITES, Head and Neck Case Review, and Radiology Business Practice: How to Succeed, and Non-Interpretive Skills Case Review, all published by Mosby/Elsevier—and has edited four journal issues. He has published over 250 peer reviewed articles over 50 chapters in books and has lectured on five continents.
Dr. Yousem has an RSNA Educator Award sponsored on line course containing over 30 lectures on the Business of Medicine available to the public at http://webcast.jhu.edu/Mediasite/Catalog/Full/7e18b7d59c63487eaaf177a86f83b01121. This is currently used by residency programs across the country to fulfill ACGME requirements for business of radiology content.
He served as President of the American Society of Neuroradiology in 2008-2009 and as the Secretary of Treasurer of the World Federation of Neuroradiological Societies from 2011 to present. He sits on many of national radiological societies committees.
Dr. Yousem has completed two marathons (best time: 3 hours, 54 minutes), a half Ironman, and a full Ironman (2.5-mile swim followed by 112-mile bike ride and then a 26-mile run) competition.
- Vice Chairman of Radiology
- Director of Neuroradiology
- Professor of Radiology and Radiological Science
Departments / Divisions
- Radiology and Radiological Science - Neuroradiology
- MD, University of Michigan Medical School (1983)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Radiology (1987)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Neuroradiology (1988)
- Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania / Neuroradiology (1990)
- American Board of Radiology / Diagnostic Radiology (1987)
- American Board of Radiology / Neuroradiology (1995)
Research & Publications
- Aralasmak A, Crain BJ, Zou WQ, Yousem DM. A Prion Disease-Possible Gerstmann-Straussler-Scheinker Disease: A Case Report. J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2006 January/February;30(1):135-139.
- Bassett SS, Kusevic I, Cristinzio C, Yassa MA, Avramopoulos D, Yousem DM Familial risk for Alzheimers disease alters fMRI activation pattern. Brain 129(Pt 5):1229-39
- Aralasmak A, Ulmer JL, Kocak M, Salvan CV, Hillis AE, Yousem DM. Association, commissural and projection pathways and their functional deficits reported in literature. J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2006 Sep-Oct;30(5):695-715.
- Yousem DM, Gad K, Tufano R Resectability issues with head and neck cancer. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2006 Nov-Dec;27(10):2024-36.
- Robotham D, Yousem D, McFarland EG, Martire J. Neck Pain Due To Windersurfing: Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2006 May;38(5 Suppl):S154.
- Gottesman RF, Sherman PM, Grega MA, Yousem DM, Borowitz LM, Selnes OA, Baumgartner WA, McKhann G. Watershed strokes after cardiac surgery: Diagnosis, etiology, and outcome. Stroke2006 Sep;37(9):2306-11. Epub 2006 Jul 20.
- Alphs HH, Schwartz BS, Stewart WF, Yousem DM.. Findings on brain MRI from research studies of occupational exposure to known neurotoxicants AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2006 Oct;187(4):1043-7
- Aralasmak A, Aygun N, Westra WH, Yousem DM.. Giant cell reparative granuloma of the sphenoid bone. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2006 Sep;27(8):1675-7.
- da Motta AC, Tunkel DE, Westra WH, Yousem DM. Imaging findings of a hibernoma of the neck. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2006 Sep;27(8):1658-9.
- Ozturk A, Yousem DM. MR imaging findings in diffuse lymphangiomatosis: neuroradiological manifestations. Acta Radiol. 2007 Jun;48(5):560-4
- Schwartz B. Chen S, Caffo B, Stewart WF, Bolla KI, Yousem DM, Davatzikos C. Relations of brain volumes with cognitive function in males 45 years and older with past lead exposure. Neuroimage. 2007 Aug 15;37(2):633-41.
- Gottesman RF, Sherman PM, Grega MA, Yousem DM, Borowicz LM Jr, Selnes OA, Baumgartner WA, McKhann GM. Response to Letter by Barili et al. Stroke. 2007 Mar 1
- Abi-Ghanem AS, Uzuner O, Askin FB, Yousem DM.. Radiological Findings in a Patient with Frontal Parafalcine Dendritic Cell Histiocytoma. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2007 Nov-Dec;28(10):1991-2
- Yousem DM. Maintenance of Certification: Current Attitudes of Members of the American Society of Neuroradiology. AJNR 2008. 29:224-7. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2007 Nov 1
- Ozturk A, Yousem DM. Prevalence of asymmetry of mamillary body and fornix size onMR imaging. AJNR (in press). AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2008: 29: 384-7.
- Caffo B, Chen S, Stewart W, Bolla K, Yousem D, Davatzikos C, Schwartz BS.,. Are MRI-based brain volumes mediators of the associations of cumulative lead dose with cognitive function?".American Journal of Epidemiology 2008: 167: 429-37.: Am J Epidemiol. 2007 Dec 12
- Ozturk A, Yousem DM. Regional differences in diffusion tensor imaging measurements: assessment of intra-rater and inter-rater variability. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2008 Jun;29(6):1124-7.
- Farage L, da Motta ACBS, Goldenberg D, Aygun N, Yousem DM. Idiopathic inflammatory pseudotumor of the carotid sheath, Arq Neuropsiquiatr 2007;65(4-B):1241-1244.
- Krishnan C, Kaplin AI, Brodsky RA, Drachman DB, Jones RJ, Pham DL, Richert ND, Pardo CA, Yousem DM, Hammond E, Quigg M, Trecker C, McArthur JC, Nath A, Greenberg BM, Calabresi PA, Kerr DA. Reduction of Disease Activity and Disability With High-Dose Cyclophosphamide in Patients With Aggressive Multiple Sclerosis. Arch Neurol. 2008 Jun 9.
- Zan E, Yousem DM, Limb CJ, Koehler JF. Middle ear adenoma: a challenging diagnosis. AJNR (in press)
- Rodriques VR, Elsayed S, Dietz H, Loeys B, Yousem DM. Neuroradiologic manifestations of Loeys-Dietz syndrome type 1. AJNR (in press)
- Yousem DM, Intelligence and Medial Temporal Lobe Function in Older Adults: an fMRI-based Investigation. AJNR in press. 2009
- Yousem DM, Gujar SK. Are C1-2 Punctures for Routine Cervical Myelography Below the Standard of Care? AJNR in press. 2009
- Vani Rao1, MD; Cynthia A. Munro2, PhD, Paul Rosenberg1, MD; Julianna Ward2, PhD Melaine Bertrand1, MS; Mahaveer Degoankar3, PhD; Alena Horsk3, PhD;. Dzung Pham3, PhD, David M. Yousem3, MD; MBA & Peter B. Barker3, D.Phil: Neuroanatomical Correlates of Depression in Post Traumatic Brain Injury: Preliminary Results of a Pilot Study. The Journal of Neuropsychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences
Activities & Honors
- Maryland Pathology Society
Videos & Media
e-Radiology Learning - Neuroradiology Pearls and Pitfalls (1 of 4)
e-Radiology Learning - Neuroradiology Pearls and Pitfalls (2 of 4)
e-Radiology Learning - Neuroradiology Pearls and Pitfalls (3 of 4)
e-Radiology Learning - Neuroradiology Pearls and Pitfalls (4 of 4)