Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Michele Bellantoni, M.D.
Associate Director, Post-Acute and Long-Term Care at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Associate Professor of Medicine
Expertise: Geriatric Consultation and Preventative Health, Geriatric Medicine, Osteoporosis, Paget's Disease, Primary Care of Older Adults
Research Interests: Post-menopausal osteoporosis in elderly women; The use of heel ultrasounds as a screening test for osteoporosis; Improving quality of care in post-acute inpatient services ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 410-550-0925
5505 Hopkins Bayview Circle
John R. Burton Pavilion
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
Michele Bellantoni, M.D., an associate professor of medicine in the Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology at The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, is associate director for post-acute and long-term care at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center. She also serves as medical director of the Johns Hopkins Bayview specialty hospital programs.
Dr. Bellantoni's clinical interests focus on osteoporosis, geriatrics and using a holistic approach to osteoporosis management in older adults in outpatient settings. She also researches post-menopausal osteoporosis in elderly women and the use of heel ultrasounds as a screening test for osteoporosis.
- Associate Director, Post-Acute and Long-Term Care at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
- Medical Director, Johns Hopkins Bayview Specialty Hospital Programs
- Associate Professor of Medicine
- MD, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (1984)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Internal Medicine (1987)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology (1990)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (1987)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsRESEARCH ACTIVITIES
Peer-Reviewed Scientific Articles
1. Waldron I, Nowotarski (Bellantoni) M, Freimer M, Henry J, Post N, and Witten C. Cross-cultural variation in blood pressure - A quantitative analysis of the relationship of blood pressure to cultural characteristics, body weight, and salt consumption. Social Sciences and Medicine 6:419-430, 1980.
2. Bennett R, Bellantoni M, Ouslander J. Air-fluidized bed treatment of nursing home patients with pressure sores. J Am Geriatr Soc 37:235-242, 1989.
3. Bellantoni M, Harman SM, Cho D, Blackman M. Effects of progestin-opposed transdermal estrogen administration on growth hormone and insulin-like growth factor-I in postmenopausal women of different ages. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 72:172-178, 1991.
4. Bellantoni M, Harman SM, Cullins V, Engelhardt S, Blackman M. Transdermal estradiol with oral progestin: biological and clinical effects in younger and older postmenopausal women. J of Gerontology 46:M216-222, 1991.
5. Busby J, Bellantoni M, Kafonek S, Muller D, Tobin J, Blackman M, Andres R. The effects of age, body composition, and sex hormones on glucose tolerance in healthy women. J Am Geriatr Soc 40:497-502, 1992.
6. Bellantoni M, Vittone J, Campfield A, Bass K, Harman SM, Blackman M. Effects of oral versus transdermal estrogen administration on growth hormone levels in younger and older postmenopausal women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 81:2848-2853, 1996.
7. Vittone J, Blackman MR, Busby-Whitehead J, Tsiao C, Stewart KJ, Tobin JD, Stevens TE, Bellantoni M, Rogers MA, Baumann G, Roth J, Harman SM, Spencer RGS. Effects of single nightly injections of GHRH 1-29 in healthy elderly men. Metabolism 46:89-96, 1997.
8. Newschaffer CJ, Bush TL, Penberthy LE, Bellantoni MF, Helzlsour K, Deiner-West M. Does co-morbid disease interact with cancer? An epidemiologic analysis of mortality in a cohort of elderly breast cancer patients. J of Gerontology, 53:M372-8, 1998.
9. OConnor KG, Harman SM, Stevens TE, Jayme JJ, Bellantoni MF, Busby-Whitehead MJ, Christmas C, Munzer T, Tobin JD, Roy TA, Cottrell E, St Clair, C, Pabst KM, Blackman MR. Interrelationships of spontaneous growth hormone axis activity, body fat, and serum lipids in healthy elderly women and men. Metabolism 48:1424-1431, 1999.
10. Appling SE, Allen JK , Bellantoni MF, Brager R. Hallerdin J, Olsen S, VanZandt S, Gaines J, Young KL. Factors associated with hormone replacement therapy use in low-income urban women, Womens Health Issues 9:319-329,1999.
11. Gusenoff JA, Harman SM, Veldhuis JD, Jayme JJ, St. Clair C, Munzer T, Christmas C, OConnor K, Stevens TE, Bellantoni MF, Pabst K, Blackman MR. Cortisol and GH secretory dynamics, and their inter-relationships, in healthy aged women and men. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 280;E616-25, 2001.
12. Munzer T, Harman SM, Hees P, Shapiro E, Christmas C, Bellantoni MF, OConnor KG, Pabst KM, St Clair C, Sorkin JD, Blackman MR. Effects of GH and/or sex steroid administration on abdominal and visceral fat I healthy aged women and men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:3604-3610;2001.
13. Christmas C, OConnor KG. Harman SM, Tobin JD, Roy TA, Munzer T, Bellantoni MF, St. Clair C, Pabst KM, Sorkin JD, Blackman MR. Growth hormone and sex steroid effects on bone metabolism and bone mineral density in healthy aged women and men. J of Gerontol:Medical Sciences 57A:M12-18, 2002.
14. Friedman D, Crespo, Bellantoni MF, Anderson R. Race/ethnicity, social class and their relationship to hormone replacement therapy: Results from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 1988-1994. Menopause 9:264-272, 2002.
15. Blackman MR, Sorkin JD, Mnzer T, Bellantoni MF, Busby-Whitehead J, Stevens TE, Jayme J, OConnor KG, Christmas C, Tobin JD, Stewart KJ Cottrell E, St. Clair C, Pabst KM, Harman SM. Growth hormone and sex steroid administration in healthy aged women and men: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 288:2282-2292, 2002.
16. Chou ET, Schulman SP, Thiemann DR, Sohn RH, Bellantoni MF, Rade JJ. Effect of short-term estrogen with and without progesterone therapy on circulating markers of endothelial activation and injury in postmenopausal women with unstable angina pectoris. Am J Cardiol 91:1240-2, 2003.
17. Laffan, AM, Bellantoni, MF, Greenough III, WB, Zenilman, JM. Burden of Clostridium Difficile-associated diarrhea in a long-term care facility. J Am Geriatr Soc 54:1068-1073, 2006.
18. Sorock GS, Quigley PA, Rutledge MK, Taylor J, Luo X, Foulis P, Wang MC, Varadhan R, Bellantoni M, Baker SP. Central nervous system medication changes and falls in nursing home residents. Geriatr Nurs30:334-340, 2009.
19. Butteri, M, Radu C, Huq F, Wiglesworth A, Durso SC, Bellantoni M. Flu in 15: A Novel 15 minute Education Program to Promote Acceptance of the Influenza vaccine Among Healthcare Workers. JAMDA, 2010 in press.
20. Nahm ES, Orwig D, Bausell B, Magaziner J, Bellantoni M, Sterling R. Recruitment of patient-caregiver dyads for an online caregiver resource program, in press.
21. Leng SX, Tian X, Lazarus G, Bellantoni MF, Greenough W, Shen T, Fried LP, Durso SC, An International Model for Geriatrics Program Development in China: The Johns Hopkins Peking Union Medical College Experience. J Am Geriatrc Soc. 2010, in press.
Book Chapters, Monographs
1. Blackman M, Bellantoni M, Busby-Whitehead J, et al. Use of growth hormone in aging, Proceedings of the 3rd International Pituitary Congress, Marina Del Ray, CA, June 13-15, 1993.
2. Bellantoni M. Osteoporosis and Other Metabolic Bone Diseases, Clinical Aspects of Aging, fourth edition, William Reichel, M.D., ed., Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore, MD, 1995.
3. Bellantoni M, Blackman, M. The Menopause and Its Consequences, Handbook of the Biology of Aging, fourth edition, Edward Schneider, M.D. and John Rowe, M.D., eds., Academic Press, Orlando, FL, 1996.
4. Bellantoni M. Osteoporosis and Other Metabolic Bone Diseases, Clinical Aspects of Aging, fifth edition, Joseph Gallo, M.D., ed., Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore, MD, 1999.
5. Blackman M, Christmas C, Munzer T, OConnor K, Stevens T, Bellantoni M, Pabst K, St. Clair C, Carter H, Metter E, Harman S. Influence of testosterone on the GH-IGF-I axis in healthy elderly men, Sex-Steroid Interactions with Growth Hormone, JD Veldhuis and A. Guistina (eds.), Springer-Verlag, New York, NY 1999.
6. Bellantoni M. Osteoporosis; Principles of Ambulatory Medicine , sixth edition, L. Randol Barker, John R. Burton, Philip D. Zieve, Nicholas Fiebach, David E. Kern, Patricia Thomas, Roy Ziegelstein, ed, Lippincott, williams, and Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA 2002.
7. Bellantoni M. Osteoporosis, Principles of Ambulatory Medicine , seventh edition, L. Randol Barker, Nicholas Fiebach, David E. Kern, Patricia Thomas, Roy Ziegelstein, Philip D. Zieve, ed, Lippincott, Williams, and Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA, 2006.
8. Bellantoni M. The Medical Management of Bone Health and Osteoporosis, Percutaneous Vertebroplasty, second edition. John Mathis, Herve Deramond, Stephen Belkoff, ed. Springer Science Business Media, Inc., New York, NY, 2006.
9. Bellantoni M, McNabney, M, Hayashi J, Geriatric Services and the Continuum of Care, Oxford American Handbook of Geriatric Medicine, Samuel C. Durso, M.D., ed. Oxford University Press, New York , NY, 2009.
Peer Reviewed Publications
1. Bellantoni M, Blackman M. Osteoporosis: Diagnostic screening and its place in current care. Geriatrics 43:63-70, 1988.
2. Bellantoni M. Osteoporosis Prevention and Treatment. American Family Physician 54:986-992, 1996.
3. Reed S, Bellantoni MF. Letter to editor. Estrogen for bone health in frail elderly women. JAMA 286:2544, 2001.
1. Bellantoni M. Consultant in geriatric medicine, Mosbys Guide to Physical Examination, third edition, Henry M. Seidel, M.D., Jane W. Ball R.N., C.P.N.P., Dr.P.H., Joyce E. Dains, R.N., Dr. P.H., J.D., G. William Benedict, M.D., PhD. eds., Mosby, St. Louis, MI, 1995.
2. Bellantoni M. Approach to the Diagnosis and Management of the Elderly Patient, Kelleys Textbook of Internal Medicine, fourth edition, H. David Humes, M.D., ed., Lippincott, Williams, and Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA, 2000.
1. Bellantoni M. Osteoporosis. Video Press, University of Maryland at Baltimore School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, 1990.
2. Bellantoni M. Overlooked Abuse. Video Press, University of Maryland at Baltimore School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, 2001.
3. Bellantoni M. Preventing Abuse of the Dementia Patient. Video Press, University of Maryland at Baltimore School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, 2001.
4. Bellantoni M. Quality Life, Quality Measures. Video Press, University of Maryland at Baltimore School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, 2003.
Activities & Honors
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Pfizer/American Geriatrics Society, 1990 - 1992
- Clinical Associate Physician Award, General Clinical Research Center, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, 1993 - 1996
- John A. Hartford Foundation support for junior faculty, 1993 - 1994
- Paul Beeson Physician Faculty Scholar in Aging, 1997 - 2000
- Best Poster in category of Health Care Systems, American Geriatrics Society, Philadelphia, PA, 1999
- Exemplary commendation for Medical Direction, Committee for the Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities, 2007
- Aliki Scholar, Internal Medicine Faculty, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, 2009
- American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 1996
- American College of Physicians, 1987
- American Geriatrics Society, 1989
- American Medical Association, 1984
- American Medical Directors Association, 1997
- Gerontological Society of America, 1990 - 2001
- International Society of Clinical Densitometry, 1998