I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Jonathan I Epstein, M.D.
The Reinhard Professor of Urologic Pathology
Professor of Pathology
Research Interests: Prediction of disease progression following radical prostatectomy; Diagnosis of limited adenocarcinoma on needle biopsy; Mimickers of genitourinary malignancy; Grading of prostate cancer, Precursor lesions to prostate cancer ...read more
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
401 North Broadway
Pathology, Weinberg Building, Suite 2242
Baltimore, MD 21231-2410 map
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
4940 Eastern Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
Dr. Jonathan I. Epstein is a Professor of Pathology, Oncology and Urology at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. He also serves as the Director of Surgical Pathology at The Johns Hopkins Hospital. He is recognized as a leader in the field of urological pathology.
Dr. Epstein completed a combined liberal arts and medical degree program at Boston University, receiving both B.A. and M.D. degrees. He obtained his residency training in anatomic pathology at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, followed by a fellowship in oncological pathology at the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York. He has been on the faculty at Johns Hopkins since 1985.
Dr. Epstein lectures widely in the United States and overseas on urological pathology, with emphasis on prostatic and bladder disease, and has written 7 books and more than 800 articles. Among many awards, he has been honored with the Koss Medal for Advancement of Urological Pathology, the Arthur Purdy Stout Surgical Pathology Prize and the American Cancer Society Clinical Oncology Career Development Award.
Dr. Epstein has one of the largest surgical pathology consulting services in the world with approximately 12,000 cases per year, covering the full range of urologic pathology. Dr Epstein uses these consultations to train 4 genitourinary pathology fellows each year, the largest genitourinary pathology fellowship in the world.
He is a member of the American Urologic Association, the Arthur Purdy Stout Society of Surgical Pathologists and the International Society of Urologic Pathology. He holds editorial appointments to 11 medical journals, including American Journal of Surgical Pathology, Urology, and Human Pathology.
- The Reinhard Professor of Urologic Pathology
- Director of Surgical Pathology, The Johns Hopkins Hospital
- Director of Urological Pathology, The Johns Hopkins Hospital
- Professor of Pathology
- Professor of Oncology
- Professor of Urology
Centers & Institutes
- Brady Urological Institute
- The Johns Hopkins Precision Medicine Center of Excellence for Prostate Cancer
- MD, Boston University School of Medicine (1981)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Anatomic and Clinical Pathology (1983)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Anatomic and Clinical Pathology (1985)
- Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center / Anatomic and Clinical Pathology (1984)
- American Board of Pathology / Anatomic Pathology (1986)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Pathologic and clinical findings to predict tumor extent of nonpalpable (stage t1 c) prostate cancer, JI Epstein, PC Walsh, M Carmichael, CB Brendler, Jama 271 (5), 368-374, 1994
The 2005 International Society of Urological Pathology (ISUP) consensus conference on Gleason grading of prostatic carcinoma, JI Epstein, WC Allsbrook Jr, MB Amin, LL Egevad, ...The American journal of surgical pathology 29 (9), 1228-1242, 2005
The World Health Organization/International Society of Urological Pathology consensus classification of urothelial (transitional cell) neoplasms of the urinary bladder JI Epstein, MB Amin, VR Reuter, FK Mostofi, ...The American journal of surgical pathology 22 (12), 1435-1448, 1998
Cancer control and quality of life following anatomical radical retropubic prostatectomy: results at 10 years. PC Walsh, AW Partin, JI Epstein The Journal of urology 152 (5 Pt 2), 1831-1836756 1994
Correlation of pathologic findings with progression after radical retropubic prostatectomy JI Epstein, G Pizov, PC Walsh, Cancer 71 (11), 3582-3593, 1993
Activities & Honors
- Koss Medal for Advancement of Urological Pathology, The International Society of Urological Pathology, 2004
- Arthur Purdy Stout Society of Surgical Pathologists Award, 1997
- Test Committee for Anatomic Pathology, American Board of Pathology, 1993
- Faculty Teaching Award, The Johns Hopkins Hospital Department of Pathology, 1992
- Clinical Oncology Career Development Award, American Cancer Society, 1988 - 1991
- Cum Laude, Boston University Medical School, 1981
- Summa Cum Laude, Boston University, 1981
- Alumni Award for Excellence, Boston University, 1981
- The United States Canadian Division of the International Academy of Pathology