My research is in Developmental Neuropsychiatry, focused on behavioral phenotypes in neurogenetic disorder. I have authored a textbook written to establish this field as subspecialty in psychiatry. This two volume book was chosen as medical book of the year among 2500 medical books in 76 specialties in the year of publication. The NIH awarded me support through an R-01 to study Lesch-Nyhan disease. Psychopharmacology in Neurodevelopmental disorders is another area of research interest. I am a fellow of the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology. I work as the cover editor for the journal JAMA Psychiatry for the Art and Images section and choose the cover each month and write a commentary about a psychiatric theme represented in this work. In the general department I teach a course on personality that focuses on the work of Adolph Meyer, Erik Erikson, John Bowlby and Carl Jung. I write the psychiatry section for the Oski Textbook of Pediatrics (now in the third edition) and the section of purine and pyrimidines for the Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics.
Clinical Trial Keywords:
- Harris JC Behavioral phenotypes of neurodevelomental disorders: portals into the developing brain. In Davis,KL Coyle,JT, Charney,D and Nemeroff C. (eds.), Psychopharmacology: the Fifth Generation of Progress, American College of Psychopharmacology, Nashville, TN, 2001.
- Horska, A., Kaufmann, W. E., Brant, L. J., Naidu, S., Harris, J. C., and Barker, P. B. 2002. In vivo quantitative proton MRSI study of brain development from childhood to adolescence. J Magn Reson Imaging, 15(2):137-143.
- Harris, J.C. Social Neuroscience, integrated brain function, empathy and neurodevelopmental disorders. Physiology and Behavior. 79(3):525-31, 2003.
- Fairbanks LD, Harris JC, Duley JA, Simmonds HA. Nucleotide degradation products in cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) in inherited and acquired pathologies. Nucleosides Nucleotides Nucleic Acids. 23:1185-1187, 2004.
- De Gregorio L, Jinnah HA, Harris JC, Nyhan WL, Schretlen DJ, Trombley LM,O''Neill JP. Lesch-Nyhan disease in a female with a clinically normal monozygotic twin.Mol Genet Metab. 85:70-7, 2005
B. Selected Publications
- Schretlen DJ, Ward J, Meyer SM, Yun J, Puig JG, Nyhan WL, Jinnah HA, Harris JC. Behavioral aspects of Lesch-Nyhan disease and its variants. Dev Med Child Neurol. 47:673-677, 2005
- Jinnah HA, Visser JE, Harris JC, Verdu A, Larovere L, Ceballos-Picot I et al Delineation of the motor disorder of Lesch-Nyhan disease. Brain. 129(Pt 5):1201-1217, 2006
- Harris, JC. (2007)The evolutionary biology, emergence, and facilitation of empathy. In Farrow, M. (ed) Empathy and Mental Illness. Cambridge University Press. Cambridge, England.
- Harris, JC. . (2007) Psychiatric Disorders in Persons with Intellectual Disability. In Gabbard, G. (ed) Treatments of Psychiatric Disorders,American Psychiatric Association Press, Washington, D. C Harris, JC., 2007
- Harris, JC. Disorders of Purine and Pyrimidine Metabolism In Kliegman, R.M., Behrman, R.E, . Jenson, H.B. and Stanton, B. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics,18th Edition. W.B. Saunders, Philadelphia, 2007.
- Harris, J.C. Developmental Neuropsychiatric Disorders. In New Oxford Textbook of Psychiatry. Gelder, M. , Lopez-Ibor, JJ, Andreasen, N. (eds) Oxford University Press. Oxford, U.K. 2009
- Harris, JC. Brain Disorders and their effect on psychopathology. In Rutter, M. (ed). Rutters Textbook of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. Blackwell, London. 2008
- Hong CC, Harris JC, Pearlson GD, Kim JS, Calhoun VD, Fallon JH, Golay X, Gillen JS, Simmonds DJ, van
- Zijl PC, Zee DS, Pekar JJ. fMRI evidence for multisensory recruitment associated with rapid eye movements during sleep.Hum Brain Mapp. 2009 Oct 28. [Epub ahead of print]
- Books, Series Editorships, and Monthly Commentaries
- Harris J. (1998). Developmental neuropsychiatry. Volume 1: Fundamentals of developmental neuropsychiatry. Volume 2: Assessment, diagnosis and treatment of the developmental disorders. Oxford University Press, New York. (Medical Book of the Year, 1995)
- Harris, J. (2006). Intellectual Disability: Understanding Its Development, Causes, Classification, Evaluation, and Treatment. Oxford University Press, New York.
- Harris, J. Book Series Editor, Developmental Perspectives in Psychiatry. Oxford University Press.
- Harris, J. Art and Images Editor. Archives of General Psychiatry. Monthly Commentaries on Art and Science.. (75 commentaries published 2002-January 2009 in 10 topic areas)
C. RESEARCH SUPPORT
Recently Completed Research Support
R01 HD33095 (Harris, PI) 4/8/973/31/01
Behavior and Neurobiological Correlates of HPRT Deficiency
This study aimed to quantify behavioral, cognitive, and neuroanatomic aspects of HPRT deficiency
(Harris, PI) 11/6/972/1/06
Lesch-Nyhan Syndrome Childrens Research
MRI and PET studies of Lesch-Nyhan disease
Current Research Support.
Lesch-Nyhan Disease: Neuroanatomical and Biochemical
Bases of the Phenotype 1 R01 HD053312-01A2 2008-2012
Schrelen (PI.) Harris (co-investigator)