I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Marek Alexander Mirski, M.D., Ph.D.
Vice-Chair, Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
Languages: English, Polish
Research Interests: Investigation of the subcortical mechanisms of seizure propagation and cortical synchrony
Request an Appointment
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 410-955-7481
600 N. Wolfe Street
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 410-550-0942
4940 Eastern Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
Dr. Marek Mirski is a professor of anesthesiology and critical care medicine as well as neurology and neurological surgery at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He is the inaugural recipient of the Thomas and Dorothy Tung Professorship in the Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine.
Dr. Mirski also serves as the vice-chair of the Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, director of Neuroscience Critical Care Units, chief of the Division of Neuroanesthesiology and co-director at Johns Hopkins Comprehensive Stroke Center.
He made several important discoveries in how seizure impulses travel within the brain, leading to publications in the highly regarded journals. In addition to his investigation in seizure mechanisms, he has made seminal laboratory and clinical research contributions in the fields of cerebral edema, osmotic therapy, ICU sedation and the practice of neurological critical care.
Dr. Mirski received his undergraduate degree in biology and chemistry from Massachusetts Institute of Technology and earned his M.D. from Washington University in St. Louis. He completed residencies in neurology and anesthesiology and critical care medicine and performed a fellowship in anesthesiology at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Dr. Mirski joined the Johns Hopkins faculty in 1992.
He has been one of the leaders in the Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine''s entry into the international patient care environment. He has been an ambassador for the Department and the Institution, caring for patients from around the world and leading missions in many countries including Bermuda, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
Dr. Mirski has published more than 175 peer-reviewed articles. He serves on the board of directors of the Society of Neurocritical Care and is on the editorial board of several scientific journals, including Tzu Chi Medical Journal, Contemporary Critical Care, Journal of Neurocritical Care and the Journal of Neurosurgical Anesthesiology.
- Vice-Chair, Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
- Director, Johns Hopkins Neuroscience Critical Care Units
- Chief, Division of Neuroanesthesiology
- Co-Director, Johns Hopkins Comprehensive Stroke Center
- Director of Neuroanesthesia and Critical Care Medicine Division
- Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
- Professor of Neurology
- Professor of Neurosurgery
Departments / Divisions
Centers & Institutes
- MD PhD, Washington University School of Medicine (1986)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (1991)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Anesthesiology (1991)
- American Board of Anesthesiology / Anesthesiology (1992)
- American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology / Neurology (1995)
Research & Publications
Dr. Mirski’s laboratory research involves the investigation of the subcortical mechanisms of seizure propagation and cortical synchrony. The lab directs major effort toward the development of methodologies for seizure inhibition via site-specific subcortical electrical stimulation. The principal finding of his research—identification of synaptically linked subcortical elements important in seizure propagation—has led to FDA-sanctioned Phase III clinical trials of targeted thalamic stimulation in patients with intractable seizures. Dr. Mirski also conducts primary research in the treatment of brain edema, ICU sedation and acute stroke.
Additional research activities include investigation of the proconvulsant action of novel alpha2-receptor agonists and pharmacologic osmolar control of elevated intracranial pressure following acute head injury. Major clinical investigations are focused on the treatment of elevated intracranial pressure, cerebral edema, ICU sedation, and clinical trials for ischemic stroke and head injury.
Technology Expertise KeywordsAnesthesiology
- Koenig MA, Bryan M, Lewin JJ, Mirski MA, Geocadin RG, Stevens RD. "Reversal of transtentorial herniation with hypertonic saline." Neurology 70(13):1023–9, 2008.
- Hamani C, Hodaie M, Chiang J, del Campo M, Andrade DM, Sherman DL, Mirski MA, Mello LE, Lozano AM. "Deep brain stimulation in the anterior thalamus: Effects of electrical stimulation on pilocarpine-induced seizures and status epilepticus." Epilepsy Res 78(2–3):117–23, 2008.
- Mirski MA, Nyquist P, Toung TJ. "Effect of hypertonic saline concentration on cerebral and visceral organ water in an uninjured rodent model." Crit Care Med 36(1):256–61, 2008.
- Bhatti N, Mirski MA, Tatlipinar A, Koch WM, Goldenberg D. "Reduction of complication rate in percutaneous dilation tracheotomy." Study of 318 consecutive patients. Otolaryngology 117:172–5, 2007.
- Ziai WC, Sherman DL, Zhang N, Bhardwaj A, Mirski MA." Target-specific catecholamine elevation induced by anticonvulsant thalamic deep brain stimulation." Epilepsia 46:878–88, 2005.
Activities & Honors
- Founding Director, Queen’s Neuroscience Institute, 1996
- Most Influential Physician, Queen’s Medical Center, 1998
- First Johns Hopkins Medicine Joint Director
- Co-Winner, Neuroscience Research Prize, Washington University/St. Louis Medical Center, 1986
- American Academy of Neurology
- American Epilepsy Society
- American Neurological Association
- American Society of Anesthesiology
- Society of Critical Care Medicine
- Society of Neurosurgical Anesthesia and Critical Care
- Ad-hoc reviewer, Critical Care Medicine
- Ad-hoc reviewer, Anesthesiology
- Ad-hoc reviewer, Anesthesia & Analgesia
- Ad-hoc reviewer, Epilepsia
- Ad-hoc reviewer, Journal of Experimental Neurology
- Ad-hoc reviewer, American Journal of Neuroradiology
- Ad-hoc reviewer, Annals of Neurology
- Ad-hoc reviewer, Neurology
- Ad-hoc reviewer, Epilepsy Research
- Ad-hoc reviewer, Contemporary Critical Care
- Ad-hoc reviewer, Journal of Neurocritical Care
- Board of Directors, Society of Neurocritical Care
- Editorial board, Contemporary Critical Care
- Editorial board, Journal Neurocritical Care
- Editorial board, Journal of Neurosurgical Anesthesiology
- FAER Awards Committee, American Society of Anesthesiology, 2003 - 2005
- Finance Secretary, Society of NeuroCritical Care, 2005 - 2007
- International Editor, Tzu Chi Medical Journal
- Scientific Co-Chair, American Society of Anesthesiology, 2002
Critical Care Committee
- Scientific Co-Chair, American Academy of Neurology, 2003