Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Francis Michael Giardiello, M.D.
Professor of Medicine
Expertise: Clinical Gastroenterology, Colon Cancer, Colon Polyps, Digestive Diseases, Family History of Cancer, Gastroenterology, Gastrointestinal Cancers, Rectal Bleeding ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 410-583-2888
600 N. Wolfe Street
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Giardiellos clinical and research interests have focused on the study of cancer and cancer chemoprevention in the gastrointestinal tract. This has included the investigation of the genetic basis of familial colorectal cancer and the use of genetic testing in the hereditary forms of colorectal cancer. He has a continuing interest in the study of the genotypic phenotypic correlations in the polyposis syndromes which include familial adenomatous polyposis, juvenile polyposis and Peutz-Jeghers syndrome.
- Professor of Medicine
- Professor of Oncology
- Professor of Pathology
Departments / Divisions
Centers & Institutes
- MD, Tufts University School of Medicine (1980)
- University of Michigan Health System / Internal Medicine (1983)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Gastroenterology (1985)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Gastroenterology (1986)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Gastroenterology (1985)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (1983)
Research & Publications
The study of the genotypic-phenotypic correlations and biomarkers in the polyposis syndromes and hereditary colorectal cancer, the investigation of the genetic basis of familial colorectal cancer, and the use of genetic testing in the hereditary forms of colorectal cancer. Also, I conducted chemoprevention trials in hereditary colon cancer syndromes.
1. Giardiello FM, Welsh SB, Offerhaus GJA, Booker SV, Krush AJ, HamiltonSR, Yardley JH, Luk GD. Increased risk of cancer in Peutz‑Jeghers syndrome. N Engl J Med 1987;316:1511‑14.
2. Giardiello FM, Hamilton SR, Krush AJ. Piantadosi S, Hylind LM, Celano P, Booker SV, Robinson CR, Offerhaus GJA. Treatment of colonic and rectal adenomas with sulindac in familial adenomatous polyposis. N Engl J Med 1993; 328:1313-6.
3. Powell SM, Petersen GM, Krush AJ, Booker SV, Jen J, Giardiello FM, Hamilton SR, Vogelstein B, Kinzler KW. Molecular Diagnosis of familial adenomatous polyposis. N Engl J Med 1993;329:1982-7.
4. Giardiello FM, Brensinger JD, Petersen GM, Luce MC, Hylind LM, Bacon JA, Booker SV, Parker RD, Hamilton SR. The use and interpretation of commercial APC gene testing for familial adenomatous polyposis. N Engl J Med 1997;336:823-7.
5. Giardiello FM, Yang VW, Hylind LM, Krush AJ, Petersen GM, AJ, Trimbath JD, Piantadosi S, Garrett E, Geiman D, HubbardW, Offerhaus GJA, Hamilton SR. Primary chemoprevention in familial adenomatous polyposis. NewEngland Journal of Medicine 2002;346:1046-9.