Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Richard Douglas Moore, M.D.
Professor of Medicine
Expertise: HIV/AIDS, Infectious Disease
Research Interests: Epidemiology of substance abuse and alcoholism; Outcomes research in HIV treatment; Pharmacoepidemiology; Health services; HIV/AIDS: clinical epidemiology, costs, cost-effectiveness, and outcomes. ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 410-955-1725
600 N. Wolfe Street
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
Appointment Phone: 410-955-9434
601 N. Caroline St.
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Richard Moore is recognized for mentorship of medical students, residents, fellows, and junior faculty in HIV/AIDS Research. Winner of the David M. Levine Mentorship Awards in the General Internal Medicine Department, he is an expert in pharmacoepidemiology, clinical epidemiology, and health services research. Now serving as the Director of the Moore Clinic for HIV Care, which began in 1984, he has influenced the careers of young scholars not only in General Internal Medicine, but also in the Infectious Disease Division. His colleagues and mentees praise him for his accessibility, his patience, his scientific candor, his instinct for compelling research, his insight, and his abilities as a teacher and editor.
Dr. Moore has authored 129 original manuscripts, 24 chapters, reviews and letters. For his medical degree he attended Vanderbilt University School of Medicine where he also completed his Internship and Residency in the Department of Medicine. A fellowship, completed at Johns Hopkins University, Department of Medicine, Division of Internal Medicine, was followed by a Masters of Health Sciences at the Johns Hopkins University, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Department of Epidemiology.
- Professor of Medicine
- MD, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine (1978)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (1981)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- Konikoff J, Brookmeyer R, Longosz AF, Cousins MM, Celum C, Buchbinder SP, Seage GR 3rd, Kirk GD, Moore RD, Mehta SH, Margolick JB, Brown J, Mayer KH, Koblin BA, Justman JE, Hodder SL, Quinn TC, Eshleman SH, Laeyendecker O. Performance of a Limiting-Antigen Avidity Enzyme Immunoassay for Cross-Sectional Estimation of HIV Incidence in the United States. PLoS One. 2013 Dec 27;8(12):e82772. PMID: 24386116
- Moore RD, Hillman CH, Broglio SP. The Persistent Influence of Concussive Injuries on Cognitive Control and Neuroelectric Function. J Athl Train. 2013 Dec 30. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24377962
- Moore RD, Broglio SP, Hillman CH. Sport-Related Concussion and Sensory Function in Young Adults. J Athl Train. 2013 Dec 30. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24377961
- Drollette ES, Scudder MR, Raine LB, Moore RD, Saliba BJ, Pontifex MB, Hillman CH. Acute exercise facilitates brain function and cognition in children who need it most: An ERP study of individual differences in inhibitory control capacity. Dev Cogn Neurosci. 2013 Nov 16;7C:53-64. doi: 10.1016/j.dcn.2013.11.001. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24309300
- Monroe AK, Rowe TL, Moore RD, Chander G. Medication adherence in HIV-positive patients with diabetes or hypertension: a focus group study. BMC Health Serv Res. 2013 Nov 25;13:488. doi: 10.1186/1472-6963-13-488. PMID: 24274688
- Moore RD, Rutter ED, Zapko DR, Kolade VO, Ayyoub SM. Abdominal aortic aneurysm with inferior vena cava compression in association with deep venous thrombosis. Am J Med Sci. 2013 Dec;346(6):521-2. doi: 10.1097/MAJ.0b013e3182a55a96. PMID: 24263082
- Hanna DB, Buchacz K, Gebo KA, Hessol NA, Horberg MA, Jacobson LP, Kirk GD, Kitahata MM, Korthuis PT, Moore RD, Napravnik S, Patel P, Silverberg MJ, Sterling TR, Willig JH, Collier A, Samji H, Thorne JE, Althoff KN, Martin JN, Rodriguez B, Stuart EA, Gange SJ; North American AIDS Cohort Collaboration on Research and Design (NA-ACCORD) of the International Epidemiologic Databases to Evaluate AIDS (IeDEA). Association between U.S. State AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP) Features and HIV Antiretroviral Therapy Initiation, 2001-2009. PLoS One. 2013 Nov 18;8(11):e78952. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0078952. PMID: 24260137
- Chinthakanan O, Miklos JR, Moore RD. Laparoscopic mesh sacrohysteropexy with concurrent laparoscopic myomectomy for treatment of multiple myomas: case report and literature review. J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2013 Nov-Dec;20(6):903-6. doi: 10.1016/j.jmig.2013.04.025. PMID: 24183280
- Cousins MM, Konikoff J, Laeyendecker O, Celum C, Buchbinder SP, Seage GR 3rd, Kirk GD, Moore RD, Mehta SH, Margolick JB, Brown J, Mayer KH, Koblin BA, Wheeler D, Justman JE, Hodder SL, Quinn TC, Brookmeyer R, Eshleman SH. HIV Diversity as a Biomarker for HIV Incidence Estimation: Including a High-Resolution Melting Diversity Assay in a Multiassay Algorithm. J Clin Microbiol. 2014 Jan;52(1):115-21. doi: 10.1128/JCM.02040-13. Epub 2013 Oct 23. PMID: 24153134
- Beach MC, Roter D, Korthuis PT, Epstein RM, Sharp V, Ratanawongsa N, Cohn J, Eggly S, Sankar A, Moore RD, Saha S. A multicenter study of physician mindfulness and health care quality. Ann Fam Med. 2013 Sep-Oct;11(5):421-8. doi: 10.1370/afm.1507. PMID: 24019273