Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Elliot K Fishman, M.D.
Director of Diagnostic Imaging and Body CT
Professor of Radiology and Radiological Science
Expertise: Diagnostic Radiology, Gastrointestinal Cancers, Lung Cancer, Pancreatic Cancer, Stomach Cancer
Research Interests: MDCT/CTA development and design; Cardiac imaging; Oncologic imaging; Web-based education and training; 3D medical visualization
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
600 N. Wolfe Street
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Elliot K. Fishman is a Professor in the Johns Hopkins Medicine Department Radiology and Radiological Science, Department of Oncology and Department of Surgery. He serves as Director of Diagnostic Imaging and Body Computed Tomography at Johns Hopkins. His clinical and research interests focus on medical imaging with specific emphasis on three-dimensional (3D) imaging and computed tomography (CT).
Dr. Fishman received his B.S. in 1973 and M.D. in 1977 from the University of Maryland. After a residency at Sinai Hospital in Baltimore, he completed a fellowship in CT at Johns Hopkins in 1980 and joined the Johns Hopkins faculty in 1981 as an Assistant Professor. In 1986, he became Associate Professor and, in 1991, Professor of Radiology and Oncology.
He is a leader in the development of 3D imaging and rendering, including its impacts on and uses in patient care and management. He was involved from the beginning in the development of 3D imaging through his work with Pixar, which was a spin-off from LucasFilms in San Rafael, California. Over the last 25 years, Dr. Fishman continued to help develop 3D imaging and has been a leader in the development of interactive 3D rendering. His team is consistently at the forefront of research and development of new visualization and post-processing techniques and technologies.
Dr. Fishman''s extensive body of work in CT has resulted in over 1,000 peer-reviewed publications, and he is the author or co-author of 10 textbooks. He is the recipient of three prestigious Aunt Minnie Awards, honoring his outstanding contributions as both an educator and researcher. In 2007, he was named by Medical Imaging Magazine as the Top Radiologist in the Nation. He is a member of editorial boards for more than 35 journals, an active member of several professional radiology associations and is a past-president of the Society of Body CT/MR.
- Director of Diagnostic Imaging and Body CT
- Professor of Radiology and Radiological Science
- Professor of Oncology
- Professor of Surgery
- University of Maryland School of Medicine (1977)
- Sinai Hospital of Baltimore / Radiology (1980)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Radiology (1981)
- American Board of Radiology / Diagnostic Radiology (1981)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- Lai H, Fishman EK, Gerstenblith G, Moore R, Brinker JA, Keruly JC, Chen S, Detrick B, Lai S. "Vitamin D deficiency is associated with development of subclinical coronary artery disease in HIV-infected African American cocaine users with low Framingham-defined cardiovascular risk." Vasc Health Risk Manag. 2013; 9:729-37. doi: 10.2147/VHRM.S50537. Epub 2013 Nov 15.
- Barral M, Soyer P, Dohan A, Laurent V, Hoeffel C, Fishman EK, Boudiaf M. "Magnetic resonance imaging of cystic pancreatic lesions in adults: an update in current diagnostic features and management." Abdom Imaging. 2013 Nov 22. [Epub ahead of print].
- Raman SP, Johnson PT, Allaf ME, Netto G, Fishman EK. "Chromophobe renal cell carcinoma: Multiphase MDCT enhancement patterns and morphologic features." AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2013 Dec; 201(6):1268-76. doi: 10.2214/AJR.13.10813.
- Raman SP, Horton KM, Fishman EK. "MDCT evaluation of ureteral tumors: Advantages of 3D reconstruction and volume visualization." AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2013 Dec; 201(6):1239-47. doi: 10.2214/AJR.13.10880.
- Raman SP, Mahesh M, Blasko RV, Fishman EK. "CT scan parameters and radiation dose: Practical advice for radiologists." J Am Coll Radiol. 2013 Nov; 10(11):840-6. doi: 10.1016/j.jacr.2013.05.032.
Activities & Honors
- Top Radiologist in the Nation, Medical Imaging Magazine, 2007
- Aunt Minnie Outstanding Educator, 2002
- Aunt Minnie Outstanding Educator, 2007
- Aunt Minnie Outstanding Researcher, 2004