Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Robert E Miller, M.D.
Director, Pathology Data Systems
Associate Professor of Pathology
Research Interests: Secure communication of confidential patient data; Client-server computer applications in health care; Clinical information systems; Pathology information systems; Laboratory information systems; Clinical pathology; Anatomic pathology ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 410-955-5429
600 N. Wolfe Street
Meyer Building B-119
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Robert E. Miller is an associate professor of pathology and biomedical engineering at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He serves as the director of Pathology Data Systems, the Department of Pathology’s comprehensive laboratory-information system, which serves all areas of anatomic and clinical pathology at Johns Hopkins.
He is an American Board of Pathology-certified anatomic and clinical pathologist with extensive experience in the development, implementation and operation of laboratory, pathology and clinical information systems. His areas of expertise and interest include secure web-based tools for patient-data reporting, integration of heterogeneous clinical-information systems, and quantitative assessment of user-query software.
Dr. Miller earned his medical degree at the University of Alberta Faculty of Medicine. He completed a medical residency at Montreal’s Royal Victoria Hospital and a pathology residency at The Johns Hopkins Hospital.
He has published 30 academic journal articles.
- Director, Pathology Data Systems
- Associate Professor of Pathology
- Associate Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Joint Appointment in Health Sciences Informatics
- MD, Faculty Of Medicine University Of Alberta (1967)
- Royal Victoria Hospital / Medicine (1969)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Pathology (1973)
- American Board of Pathology / Anatomic & Clinical Pathology (1973)
Research & Publications
Dr. Miller's interests are in the use of web tools for client-server computer applications in health care and integration of heterogeneous clinical systems, secure communication of confidential patient data, and techniques for implementing text-only web servers on legacy computer systems.
Specific applications in pathology include laboratory test ordering and reporting, image management for teaching, clinical consultation and teleconferencing, and search strategies for large databases.
Dr. Miller is the director of Pathology Data Systems (PDS), the Department of Pathology’s comprehensive laboratory-information system (LIS), which serves all areas of anatomic and clinical pathology at Johns Hopkins.
In this role, he oversees the development and functioning of PDS, which consists of LIS support that includes surgical pathology, cytopathology and autopsy coverage.
PDS has an integrated Oracle repository with real-time link for test-result archiving and ad hoc queries; integrated secure Web servers for patient-data reporting; extensive network connectivity to the Johns Hopkins EPR system; and connectivity to other clinical and administrative systems.
- Afework A, Beynon M, Bustamante F, Cho S, Demarzo A, Ferreira R, Miller R, Silberman M, Saltz J, Sussman A, and Tsang H. "Digital Dynamic Telepathy – the Virtual Microscope." Proceedings of the 1998 AMIA Fall Symposium, Orlando, FL, November 7 – 11, 1998, pp. 912-916.
- Stoffel K, Davis J, Saltz J, Rottman G, Dick J, Merz W and Miller R. "A Graphical Tool for Ad Hoc Query Generation." Proceedings of the 1998 AMIA Fall Symposium, Orlando, FL, November 7 – 11, 1998, pp. 503-507.
- Ferreira R, Moon B, Humphries J, Sussman A, Saltz J, Miller R, Demarzo. "The Virtual Microscope." Proceedings of the 1997 AMIA Annual Fall Symposium, Nashville, TN, October 25 –29, 1997, pp. 449-453.
- Stoffel K, Saltz J, Hendler J, Dick J, Merz W, and Miller R. "Semantic Indexing for Complex Patient Grouping." Proceedings of the 1997 AMIA Annual Fall Symposium, Nashville, TN, October 25 – 27, 1997, p. 891
Stoffel K, Saltz J, Miller R, Dick J, Merz W, Hendler N. Semantic Indexing for Complex Patient Grouping. 1997 AMIA poster presentation, abstract in Symposium Proceedings, publication in Extended ProceedingsCD-ROM.
Miller RE. Computer-based indexing. In: Hutchins GM (ed.), Autopsy Performance and Reporting. CAP Autopsy Committee. College of American Pathologists, Northfield, Illinois, pp 174-180, 1990.
Academic Affiliations & Courses
Graduate Program Affiliation