Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Justin McArthur, M.B.B.S., M.P.H.
Director, Johns Hopkins Department of Neurology
Professor of Neurology
Expertise: HIV/AIDS Associated Neuropathies, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuroimmunology, Neurology
Request an Appointment
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 410-955-3730
600 N. Wolfe Street
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
Appointment Phone: 410-614-1522
601 N. Caroline St.
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. McArthur is also the Director the of the Johns Hopkins/National Institute of Mental Health Research Center for Novel Therapeutics of HIV-associated Cognitive Disorders. The Center is comprised of an experienced interdisciplinary research team who have pooled their talents to study the nature of HIV-associated cognitive disorders. Their aim is to translate discoveries of the pathophysiological mechanisms into novel therapeutics for HIV-associated dementia (HIV-D).
Dr. Justin McArthur received his medical degree from Guys Hospital Medical School in London, UK. He then completed an internship and residency in internal medicine at The Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, MD. He then stayed with Johns Hopkins to complete a residency in neurology and achieve his masters in public health. He is the Director of the Johns Hopkins Department of Neurology.
- Director, Johns Hopkins Department of Neurology
- Professor of Neurology
- Professor of Medicine
- Professor of Pathology
Centers & Institutes
- Armstrong Institute for Patient Safety and Quality
- Cutaneous Nerve Laboratory
- Multiple Sclerosis Center
- Project RESTORE
- MBBS, United Medical & Dental Schools (1979)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Neurology (1985)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (1984)
- American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology / Neurology (1986)
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (Baltimore MD ) (1988)
Research & Publications
Dr. McArthur is the Director the of the Johns Hopkins/National Institute of Mental Health Research Center for Novel Therapeutics of HIV-associated Cognitive Disorders. The Center is comprised of an experienced interdisciplinary research team who have pooled their talents to study the nature of HIV-associated cognitive disorders. Their aim is to translate discoveries of the pathophysiological mechanisms into novel therapeutics for HIV-associated dementia (HIV-D).
Dr. McArthur is the principal investigator of the Johns Hopkins National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) Center for Novel Therapeutics of HIV-associated Cognitive Disorders and is funded by NIMH Grant # P30MH075673. The NIMH Center is comprised of an interdisciplinary research team who has pooled their talents to study the nature of HIV-associated neurocognitive disorders (HAND). Their aim is to translate discoveries of the pathophysiological mechanisms into novel therapeutics for HAND. The goals of NIMH are:
- To integrate aspects of ongoing research in HAND and simian immunodeficiency virus (SIV) encephalitis
- Develop high-throughput and screening assays for identifying novel therapeutic compounds
- Use proteomics and lipidomics approaches to indentifying surrogate markers of disease activity
- Disseminate information and education about HAND through existing and new educational systems, including the JHU AIDS Education Training Center and the JHU Center for Global Clinical Education
- Facilitate the entry of new investigators into Neuro-AIDS research, and to catalyze new areas of research, particularly where relevant for drug discovery or the development of validated surrogate markers
Lab Website: JHU NIMH Research Center
Clinical Trial KeywordsHIV-associated cognitive disorders
Find out about clinical trials being conducted by the Johns Hopkins National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) Center for Novel Therapeutics of HIV-associated Cognitive Disorders.
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Brown A, Islam T, Adams R, Nerle S, Kamara M, Eger C, Marder K, Cohen B, Schifitto G, McArthur JC, Sacktor N. Osteopontin enhances HIV replication and is increased in the brain and cerebrospinal fluid of HIV-infected individuals. J Neurovirol. 2011 May 10. 276. Ebezner GJ, ODonnell R, Hauer P, Cimino NP, McArthur JC, Polydefkis M. Impaired neurovascular repair in subjects with diabetes following experimental intracutaneous axotomy. Brain. 2011 Jun;134(Pt 6):1853-63.
Hammond ER, Wang Z, Bhulani N, McArthur JC, Levy M. Needle type and the risk of post-lumbar puncture headache in the outpatient neurology clinic. J. Neurol Sci. 2011 May 4.
Jernigan TL, Archibald SL, Fennema-Notestine C, Taylor MJ, Theilmann RJ, Julaton MD, Notestine RJ, Wolfson RJ, Heaton RK, Gamst AC, Franklin DR Jr, Clifford DB, Collier AC, Gelman BB, Marra C, McArthur JC, McCutch, Simpson DM, Grant I; for the CHARTER Group. McArthur, Justin C. 16 Clinical factors related to brain structure in HIV: the CHARTER study. J Neurovirol. 2011 Jun; 17(3):248-257.
Sacktor N, Lyles RH, Skolasky R, Kleeberger C, Selnes OA, Miller EN, Becker JT, Cohen B, McArthur JC and the Cohort Study.HIV-associated neurologic disease incidence changes: Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study, 1990-1998, Neurology 2011 Apr 26;76(17):1499.
Newsome SD, Johnson E, Pardo C, McArthur JC, Nath A Fulminant encephalopathy with basal ganglia hyperintensities in HIV-infected drug users.. Neurology. 2011 Mar 1;76(9):787-94.
Lucey BP, Clifford DB, Creighton J, Edwards RR, McArthur JC, Haythornwaite J. Relationship of depression and catastrophizing to pain, disability, and medication adherence in patients with sensory neuropathy.AIDS Care 2011 Apr 14:1-8.
Evans SR, Ellis RJ, Chen H, Yeh TM, Lee AJ, Schifitto G, Wu K, Bosch RJ, McArthur JC, Simpson DM, Clifford DB. Peripheral Neuropathy in HIV: Prevalence and risk factors. AIDS. 2011 Mar 10.
Ragin AB, Wu Y, Ochs R, Du H, Epstein LG, Conant K, McArthur JC.Marked relationship between matrix metalloproteinase 7 and brain atrophy in HIV infection.J Neurovirol. 2011 Feb 8.
Heaton RK, Franklin DR, Ellis RJ, McCutchan JA, Letendre SL, Leblanc S, Corkran SH, Duarte NA, Clifford DB, Woods SP, Collier AC, Marra CM, Morgello S, Mindt MR, Taylor MJ, Marcotte TD, Atkinson JH, Wolfson T, Gelman BB, McArthur JC, Simpson DM, Abramson I, Gamst A, Fennema-Notestine C, Jernigan TL, Wong J, Grant I; CHARTER Group; HNRC HIV-associated neurocognitive disorders before and during the era of combination antiretroviral therapy: differences in rates, nature, and predictors. Group.J Neurovirol. 2011 Feb;17(1):3-16. Epub 2010 Dec 21.
Tan IL, McArthur JC. HIV-associated central nervous system diseases in the era of combination antiretroviral therap. Eur J Neurol. 2011 Mar; 18(3):371-2.
Lin K, Taylor MJ, Heaton R, Franklin D, Jernigan T, Fennema-Notestine C, McCutchan A, Atkinson JH, Ellis RJ, McArthur JC, Morgello S, Simpson D, Collier AC, Marra C, Gelman B, Clifford D Grant : CHARTER Group. Effects of traumatic brain injury on cognitive functioning and cerebral metabolites in HIV-infected individuals. J Clin Exp Neuropsychol. 2011 Mar;33(3):326-34. Epub 2011 Jan 10.
Heaton RK, Clifford DB, Franklin DR Jr, Woods SP, Ake C, Vaida F, Ellis RJ, Letendre SL, Marcotte TD, Atkinson JH, Rivera-Mindt M, Vigil OR, Taylor MJ, Collier AC, Marra CM, Gelman BB, McArthur JC, Morgello S, Simpson DM, McCutchan JA, Abramson I, Gamst A, Fennema-Notestine C, Jernigan TL, Wong J, Grant I; CHARTER Group. HIV-associated neurocognitive disorders persist in the era of potent antiretroviral therapy: CHARTER Study.Neurology. 2010 Dec 7;75(23):2087-96.
Meike MM, Bandaru VV, McArthur JC, Chu M, Haughey NJ. Disturbance in cerebral spinal fluid sphingolipid content is associated with memory impairment in subjects infected with the human immunodeficiency virus. J Neurovirol. 2010 Dec;16(6):445-56.
Cettomai D, Hiremath G, Ratchford J, Venkatesan A, Greenberg MB, McGready J, Pardo CA, Kerr DA, Frohman JC, Balcer LJ, McArthur JC, Calabresi PA. Associations between retinal nerve fiber layer abnormailites and optic nerve examination.Neurology. 2010 Oct 12;75(15):1381-25.
McArthur JC, Brew BJ. AIDS. 2010 Jun1;24(9):1367-70.
McArthur JC, Steiner J, Sacktor N, Nath A. Human immunodeficiency virus-associated neurocognitive disorders: Mind the gap. Ann Neurol, 2010 Jun;67(6):699-714.
Activities & Honors
- Charles Forster Cardiology Prize, Guys Hospital, 1977
- Certificate, Golding-Bird Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1977
- Spastics Society Prize for Pediatrics, 1978
- Annual Dermatology Prize, Guys Hospital, 1978
- Honors in Medicine, University of London, 1979
- Elected American , Neurological Association, 1991
- Frank Ford Teaching Award, (JHU Annual Teaching Award: Department of Neurology), 1993
- Elected Alpha Omega Alpha, 1994
- Department of Medicine Osler Housestaff Award in recognition of outstanding contributions to Housestaff teaching, 1994
- Department of Medicine Osler Housestaff Award in recognition of outstanding contributions to Housestaff teaching, 1996
- Department of Medicine Osler Housestaff Award in recognition of outstanding contributions to housestaff teaching, 1998
- Department of Medicine Osler Housestaff Award in recognition of outstanding contributions to Housestaff teaching, 1999
- Selected for School of Medicine, Faculty Leadership Development Program, 1999
- Professors Award for Distinction in Teaching in the Clinical Sciences, 2001
- Pathogenesis and therapy of HIV-associated neurological diseases. Distinguished Speaker, Department of Medicine Research Seminar Series, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, 2002
- Finalist ACGME Parker J. Palmer Courage to Teach Award, 2002
- Department of Medicine Osler Housestaff Award in recognition of outstanding contributions to Housestaff teaching, 2003
- Diversity Leadership Council (DLC) Diversity Recognition Award, Johns Hopkins University, 2010
- Best Doctors in America, 2011