I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Juan C Troncoso, M.D.
Director, Clinical and Neuropathology Core
Professor of Pathology
Languages: English, Spanish
Research Interests: Trauma of the brain and spinal cord; Forensic neuropathology; Neurodegenerative diseases, including Alzheimer''s disease
Request an Appointment
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Main Entrance)
Appointment Phone: 410-955-2660
1800 Orleans St.
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Juan Troncoso is a professor of pathology and associate professor of neurology at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He is a board-certified neurologist/neuropathologist with expertise in the pathological diagnosis of dementias and the neuropathology of normal aging.
Dr. Troncoso serves as the director of the Brain Resource Center, which he established, and director of the Clinical and Neuropathology Core at the Johns Hopkins Udall Center.
He earned his M.D. from Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile. He completed a residency in pathology at The Johns Hopkins Hospital and a residency in neurology at Hahnemann Medical College in Philadelphia. He performed a fellowship in pathology at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.
Dr. Troncoso's research interests include neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer''s disease; forensic neuropathology; and trauma of the brain and spinal cord.
He has authored more than 70 publications, and has served as neuropathologist for the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner of Maryland since 1981. He is a faculty member of the Aging and Dementia Training Program at Johns Hopkins.
- Director, Clinical and Neuropathology Core
- Director, Brain Resource Center
- Professor of Pathology
- Associate Professor of Neurology
Centers & Institutes
- Alzheimer's Disease Research Center
- Morris K. Udall Parkinson's Disease Research Center
- Clinical and Neuropathology Core, Udall Center
- MD, Faculty of Medicine Pontifica Univesity Catolica De chile (1973)
- Hahnemann University Hospital / Neurology (1978)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Pathology (1979)
- American Board of Pathology / Neuropathology (1983)
- American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology / Neurology (1980)
Research & Publications
Dr. Troncoso’s research focuses on the neuropathology of normal aging and the pathology, pathogenesis and therapy of neurodegenerative disorders.
His research encompasses clinical-pathological correlations, morphological studies using unbiased stereology and investigations of the pathogenesis of neurodegenerative disorders in relevant genetically engineered mouse models and in vitro systems.
Dr. Troncoso’s laboratory has conducted apoE genotyping for more than a decade, serving the Division of Neuropathology and other investigators in the JHMI research community.
Core Facility: Clinical and Neuropathology Core, Udall Center
- Iacono D, Resnick SM, O'Brien R, Zonderman AB, An Y, Pletnikova O, Rudow G, Crain B, Troncoso JC. "Mild cognitive impairment and asymptomatic Alzheimer disease subjects: equivalent β-amyloid and tau loads with divergent cognitive outcomes." J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 2014 Apr;73(4):295-304. doi: 10.1097/NEN.0000000000000052.
- Riudavets MA, Bartoloni L, Troncoso JC, Pletnikova O, St George-Hyslop P, Schultz M, Sevlever G, Allegri RF. "Familial dementia with frontotemporal features associated with M146V presenilin-1 mutation." Brain Pathol. 2013 Sep;23(5):595-600. doi: 10.1111/bpa.12051. Epub 2013 Apr 25.
- Driscoll I, Troncoso JC, Rudow G, Sojkova J, Pletnikova O, Zhou Y, Kraut MA, Ferrucci L, Mathis CA, Klunk WE, O'Brien RJ, Davatzikos C, Wong DF, Resnick SM. "Correspondence between in vivo (11)C-PiB-PET amyloid imaging and postmortem, region-matched assessment of plaques." Acta Neuropathol. 2012 Dec;124(6):823-31. doi: 10.1007/s00401-012-1025-1. Epub 2012 Aug 5.
- Airavaara M, Pletnikova O, Doyle ME, Zhang YE, Troncoso JC, Liu QR. "Identification of novel GDNF isoforms and cis-antisense GDNFOS gene and their regulation in human middle temporal gyrus of Alzheimer disease." J Biol Chem. 2011 Dec 30;286(52):45093-102. doi: 10.1074/jbc.M111.310250. Epub 2011 Nov 11.
West MJ, Coleman PD, Flood DG, Troncoso JC. Differences in the pattern of hippocampal neuronal loss in normal aging and Alzheimer's disease. Lancet 344:769-772, 1994.
Troncoso JC, Martin LJ, Dal Forno G, Kawas CH. Neuropathology in controls and demented subjects from the Baltimore Longitudinal Study of Aging. Neurobiol. Aging 17:365-371, 1996.
Vehmas AK, Borchelt DR, Price DL, McCarthy D, Wills-Karp M, Peper M, Rudow G, Luyinbazi J, Siew L, Troncoso J. Beta-amyloid peptide vaccination results in marked changes in serum and brain A-beta levels in APPswe/PS1E9 mice, as detected by SELDI-TOF-based ProteinChip® technology. DNA and Cell Biology 20:713-721, 2001.
West MJ, Kawas CH, Stewart WF, Rudow GL, Troncoso JC. Hippocampal neurons in pre-clinical Alzheimers disease. Neurobiology of Aging 25(9):1205-12, 2004.
Pletnikova O, West N, Lee MK, Rudow G, Skolasky RL, Dawson TM, Marsh L, Troncoso JC. Aβ deposition enhances cortical α-synuclein lesions in Parkinsons disease. Accepted for publication in Neurobiology of Aging.
Academic Affiliations & Courses
Graduate Program Affiliation
Neuropathology-Neurology (Course Director)