Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Corinne Sandone, M.A.
Director, Graduate Program, Department of Art as Applied to Medicine
Associate Professor of Art as Applied to Medicine
Corinne Sandone is an associate professor at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Professor Sandone has served as director of the graduate program in medical and biological illustrations in the Department of Art as Applied to Medicine since 2013.
Professor Sandone specializes in surgical illustration and has used watercolor to create several large, color surgical atlases. She is the co-author of the Cameron-Sandone Atlas of Gastrointestinal Surgery and is a board-certified medical illustrator (CMI).
She grew up in Connecticut and received her B.A. in studio art from Oberlin College in 1982. She did graduate work at Johns Hopkins, receiving her M.A. in medical and biological illustration in 1986. She has been a professional member of the Association of Medical Illustrators (AMI) for more than 20 years and currently serves on the AMI Board of Governors and as chair of the Communications Editorial Council.
Professor Sandone teaches coursework in drawing, watercolor, surgical illustration, operating room sketching and portfolio preparation, and is an advisor for graduate student research. She enjoys developing curriculum to reflect topics in the medical illustration profession and has lectured on a variety of subjects, including the related histories of dissection and anatomical illustration; illustration for patient education; illustrating minimally invasive surgery; and combining teaching and illustrating careers. She combines traditional media with digital tools and strives to retain a handcrafted look and feel to her images. She is a voracious reader and is proud to be a resident of Baltimore.
- Director, Graduate Program, Department of Art as Applied to Medicine
- Associate Professor of Art as Applied to Medicine
Departments / Divisions
- M.A., Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (Maryland) (1986)
- Certified Medical Illustrator, Board of Certification of Medical Illustrators, The Association of Medical Illustrators (Lexington, KY) (2014)
Research & Publications
- Gopal DV, Chang EY, Kim CY, Sandone C, Pfau PR, Frick TJ, Hunter JG, Kahrilas PJ, Jobe BA. "EUS characteristics of Nissen fundoplication: normal appearance and mechanisms of failure." Gastrointest Endosc. 2006 Jan;63(1):35-44.
- Makary MA, Fishman EK, Cameron JL. "Resection of the celiac axis for invasive pancreatic cancer." J Gastrointest Surg. 2005 Apr;9(4):503-7.
- Jobe BA, Kahrilas PJ, Vernon AH, Sandone C. "Endoscopic appraisal of the gastroesophageal valve after antireflux surgery." Am J Gastroenterol. 2004 Feb;99(2):233-43.
- Horvath KD, Swanstrom LL, Jobe BA. "The short esophagus: pathophysiology, incidence, presentation and treatment in the era of laparoscopic anti-reflux surgery." Ann Surg. 2002 Nov; 232(5):630-40.
Academic Affiliations & Courses
Graduate Program Affiliation
Department of Art as Illustration
Activities & Honors
- Adobe Site of the Day, for redesigned AMI website (ami.org), 2009
- Illustrated Book Award for Cameron-Sandone Atlas of Surgery , 2nd ed., Association of Medical Illustrators Salon, 2007
- Communication Arts Website of the Week, for Johns Hopkins Gastroenterology and Hepatology Resource Center, 2002
- Association of Medical Illustrators, 1988
- Advisory Board, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, 2009
Alan M. Chesney Medical Archives
- Advisory Group II, Office of Women in Science and Medicine
- ARC, Association of Medical Illustrators, 2005
MI Accreditation Committee
- Board of Governors, Association of Medical Illustrators, 2006
- Chair, Association of Medical Illustrators, 2007
Communications Editorial Council
- Chair, Department of Art as Applied to Medicine, 1992 - 1995
- Department Representative, Department of Art as Applied to Medicine, 2003 - 2007
Medical School Council
- Judges, International Science and Engineering Visualization Challenge, 2011
- Leadership Development Program, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, 2009
- President-Elect, Association of Medical Illustrators, 2014