Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Juan Ramon Garcia, M.A.
Director, Facial Prosthetics Clinic, Department of Art as Applied to Medicine
Associate Professor of Art as Applied to Medicine
Juan R. Garcia is an associate professor at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He serves as director of the Facial Prosthetics Clinic within the Department of Art as Applied to Medicine, and teaches ophthalmological illustration, medical sculpture and anaplastology.
Mr. Garcia received bachelor’s degrees in graphic design/illustration and biology from the University of Miami, and in 1995 completed his master’s degree in medical and biological illustration at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
As director of the Facial Prosthetics Clinic, Mr. Garcia crafts custom-made prosthetic substitutes for missing facial and somatic anatomy. This involves creating non-weight bearing silicone appliances for the face and body. These devices are attached to the affected area via adhesives, magnetic components, or an osseointegrated implant system. Additional services provided include: custom ocular prostheses, custom surgical guides using CT scans, surface laser scans, custom silicone implants, medical models and rapid prototyped models.
In 2009, Mr. Garcia established a one-year training certificate program in clinical anaplastology through the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine for graduates from medical illustration programs as well as qualified students.
He is a member of the Association of Medical Illustrators and the International Anaplastology Association, and serves as the President-Elect the Board for Certification in Clinical Anaplastology. He has received numerous grants and awards, and his work has been presented nationally and featured extensively in clinical textbooks, book chapters and DVDs.
- Director, Facial Prosthetics Clinic, Department of Art as Applied to Medicine
- Associate Professor of Art as Applied to Medicine
Departments / Divisions
- B.F.A., University of Miami (Florida) (1991)
- B.S., University of Miami (Florida) (1993)
- M.A., Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (Maryland) (1995)
- Certified Medical Illustrator, Board of Certification of Medical Illustrators, The Association of Medical Illustrators (Lexington, KY) (2010)
- Certified Clinical Anaplastologist, Board for Certification in Clinical Anaplastology (South Beloit, IL) (2014)
Prosthetics Plus, private practice of Gillian Duncan, MS, CCA, CMI, Rochester, MN, 2008, Weeklong Technical Exchange on Polyurethane Lined Prostheses and Other Anaplastology Techniques; Toronto-Sunnybrook Regional Cancer Center, Toronto, ON, 2006, 4-day training session on Treatment Planning Methodology with Todd Kubon, MAMS, CCA; private practice of Robert Erb, PhD, CCA, Audubon, Pennsylvania, 2005, Multi-day Technical Exchanges at Siliclone Studios; William McKinstry and BioMedical Modeling, Cleveland, OH, 2004, Multi-day Workshop on Design and Construction of Craniofacial Implants Utilizing 3D BioModels
Research & Publications
- Webster K, Starmer H, Garcia J. "A Custom-Made Interface for Stoma Care Products for Total Laryngectomees." International Journal of Anaplastology, 2009;3(1):31-37, 2008.
- Meltzer N, Garcia J, Byrne P, Boahene D. "Image-Guided Titanium Implantation for Craniofacial Prosthetics." Arch Facial Plast Surg. 2009;11(1):58-61.
- Byrne P, Garcia J. "Autogenous Nasal Tip Reconstruction of Complex Defects: A Structural Approach Employing Rapid Prototyping." Arch Facial Plast Surg. 2007; 9(5): 358-364, 2007.
Academic Affiliations & Courses
Graduate Program Affiliation
Department of Art as Applied to Medicine
Activities & Honors
- Certificate of Merit, Projection Visuals, Association of Medical Illustrators, Los Angeles, CA, 2005
- Certificate of Merit, Line, Association of Medical Illustrators, Cleveland, OH, 2004
- Certificate of Merit, Instructional Color, Association of Medical Illustrators, Asilomar, CA, 2003
- Certificate of Merit, Professional Continuous Tone, Association of Medical Illustrators, Atlanta, GA, 1999
- Max Brödel Award of Excellence, Continuous Tone, Association of Medical Illustrators, Cincinnatti, OH, 1997
- Association of Medical Illustrators
- International Anaplastology Association