Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Biljana Musicki, M.S., Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Urology
Research Interests: Sickle cell disease; Diabetes; Corpus luteum; Luteal cells; Signal transduction; Priapism; Nitric oxide; Vasculogenic erectile dysfunction; Penile erection; Male sexual dysfunction; Andrology; Molecular biology ...read more
Dr. Biljana Musicki is an assistant professor of urology at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. Dr. Musicki is an investigator whose research focuses largely on better understanding the molecular mechanisms behind male sexual dysfunction. She has served as the principal investigator of many studies funded by the National Institutes of Health.
She was a research associate and urology instructor at Johns Hopkins before joining the faculty in 2010. Her prior work included serving as a research associate and then assistant at Belgrade, Yugoslavia’s Institute for Molecular Biology and Endocrinology.
Dr. Musicki earned her doctoral degree in physiology and endocrinology from Yale University and the University of Belgrade. She completed postdoctoral training in reproduction/ signal transduction at Yale and the University of Maryland, and in cancer/signal transduction at Canada’s Loeb Health Research Institute.
In addition to publishing nearly 60 journal articles, Dr. Musicki has co-contributed a number of book chapters and serves on the editorial boards of The Journal of Sexual Medicine and MD Medical Data.
She also has served as a reviewer for publications that include the Journal of Urology, Journal of Sexual Medicine, PLoS One, Biology of Reproduction, Journal of the American Aging Association, and International Journal of Impotence Research.
- Assistant Professor of Urology
Departments / Divisions
Centers & Institutes
- B.S., University of Belgrade (Yugoslavia) (1980)
- M.S., University of Belgrade (Yugoslavia) (1983)
- Ph.D., University of Belgrade (Yugoslavia) (1990)
Yale University, New Haven, CT, 1989, Reproduction; University of Maryland, College Park, MD, 1997, Reproduction/Signal Transduction; Yale University, New Haven, CT, 1994, Reproduction/Signal Transduction
Research & Publications
Dr. Musicki’s research is largely focused on better understanding the molecular mechanisms of penile erection and vasculogenic erectile dysfunction.
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- Musicki B, Bivalacqua TJ, Champion HC, Burnett AL. "Sildenafil promotes eNOS activation and inhibits NADPH oxidase in the transgenic sickle cell mouse penis." J Sex Med. 2014 Feb;11(2):424-30. doi: 10.1111/jsm.12391. Epub 2013 Nov 20.
- Bivalacqua TJ, Musicki B, Hsu LL, Berkowitz DE, Champion HC, Burnett AL. "Sildenafil citrate-restored eNOS and PDE5 regulation in sickle cell mouse penis prevents priapism via control of oxidative/nitrosative stress." PLoS One. 2013 Jul 2;8(7):e68028. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0068028. Print 2013.
- Hurt KJ, Sezen SF, Lagoda GF, Musicki B, Rameau GA, Snyder SH, Burnett AL. "Cyclic AMP-dependent phosphorylation of neuronal nitric oxide synthase mediates penile erection." Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012 Oct 9;109(41):16624-9. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1213790109. Epub 2012 Sep 24.
- Lagoda G, Sezen SF, Cabrini MR, Musicki B, Burnett AL. "Molecular analysis of erection regulatory factors in sickle cell disease associated priapism in the human penis." J Urol. 2013 Feb;189(2):762-8. doi: 10.1016/j.juro.2012.08.198. Epub 2012 Oct 8.
- Musicki B, Liu T, Sezen SF, Burnett AL. "Targeting NADPH oxidase decreases oxidative stress in the transgenic sickle cell mouse penis." J Sex Med. 2012 Aug;9(8):1980-7. doi: 10.1111/j.1743-6109.2012.02798.x. Epub 2012 May 23.
Activities & Honors
- Basic Science Abstract Award, Sexual Medicine Society of North America, 2011
- Basic Science Abstract Award, Sexual Medicine Society of North America, 2009
- Basic Science Abstract Award, Sexual Medicine Society of North America, 2008
- First Place, Recognition of Contribution to the Field of Sexual Medicine, American Urological Association Foundation/Society for Basic Urological Research Summer Research Conference, 2008
- Winter Meeting Abstract Award, Sexual Medicine Society of North America, 2007
- Basic Science Abstract Award, Sexual Medicine Society of North America, 2006
- Inactivation of phosphorylated endothelial nitric oxide synthase (Ser-1177) by O-GlcNAc in diabetes-associated erectile dysfunction published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences' , This Week in PNAS , 2005
- Jean Francois Ginesti, Prize for Best Paper on Basic Science on Sexual Medicine, International Society for Sexual and Impotence Research, 2004
- Professional Development Award, National Kidney Foundation of Maryland, 2003
- Emil Tanagho Prize for Best Innovative Research, International Society for Sexual and Impotence Research, 2002
- American Urological Association, 2006
- National Kidney Foundation of Maryland, Inc., 2002
- Research and Awards Committee, Sexual Medicine Society of North America, 2011 - 2011
- Society for the Study of Reproduction, 1994
- Editorial Board, The Journal of Sexual Medicine, 2011
- Editorial Board, MD Medical Data, 2009
- Research and Awards Committee, Sexual Medicine Society of North America, 2011