Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Stephen M. Belkoff, Ph.D.
Director, Orthopaedic Instrumentation Laboratory
Associate Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
Research Interests: Joint reconstruction; Mechanics of fracture fixation; Mechanism of injury; Trauma biomechanics; Soft-tissue characterization; Vertebroplasty
Stephen M. Belkoff, Ph.D., is an associate professor of orthopaedic surgery at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. He holds a secondary appointment in the Department of Mechanical Engineering.
Dr. Belkoff serves as director of both the Orthopaedic Instrumentation Laboratory and the International Center for Orthopaedic Advancement. He joined the Johns Hopkins faculty in 2001.
His research focuses on the mechanical behavior of native soft and hard tissues, as well as injured soft and hard tissues that have been surgically repaired. He works to develop techniques and instruments to help repair osteoporotic fractures.
- Director, Orthopaedic Instrumentation Laboratory
- Director, International Center for Orthopaedic Advancement
- Associate Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
Departments / Divisions
- Orthopaedic Surgery - Orthopaedic Research
Centers & Institutes
Research & Publications
Dr. Belkoff’s research focuses on understanding the mechanism of injury of osteoporotic fractures and optimizing their stabilization.
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- Marsland D, Belkoff SM, Solan MC. "Biomechanical analysis of endobutton versus screw fixation after Lisfranc ligament complex sectioning." Foot Ankle Surg. 2013 Dec;19(4):267-72. doi: 10.1016/j.fas.2013.06.009. Epub 2013 Jul 19.
- Kebaish KM, Martin CT, O'Brien JR, Lamotta IE, Voros GD, Belkoff SM. "Use of vertebroplasty to prevent proximal junctional fractures in adult deformity surgery: a biomechanical cadaveric study." Spine J. 2013 Oct 4. doi:pii: S1529-9430(13)00714-6. 10.1016/j.spinee.2013.06.039. [Epub ahead of print]
- Pechon PH, Mears SC, Langdale ER, Belkoff SM. "Salvaging the pullout strength of stripped screws in osteoporotic bone." Geriatr Orthop Surg Rehabil. 2013 Jun;4(2):50-2. doi: 10.1177/2151458513498393.
- Marsland D, Belkoff SM. "Biomechanical Analysis of Posterior Intrafocal Pin Fixation for the Pediatric Supracondylar Humeral Fracture." J Pediatr Orthop. 2013 Jun 26. [Epub ahead of print]
- Petre BM, Roxbury CR, McCallum JR, Defontes KW 3rd, Belkoff SM, Mears SC. "Pain reporting, opiate dosing, and the adverse effects of opiates after hip or knee replacement in patients 60 years old or older." Geriatr Orthop Surg Rehabil. 2012 Mar;3(1):3-7. doi: 10.1177/2151458511432758.