Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Review our complete Executive Summary.
Provide a broadly collaborative and multidisciplinary academic home for research, education, quality improvement and innovation designed to improve primary care and health outcomes for the benefit of patients and society. Pull together the many centers of excellence within Johns Hopkins that are committed to the advancement of primary care to effectively coordinate efforts, promote collaboration, invest in innovation and channel creativity toward improving the health of our patients.
Be recognized regionally, nationally and internationally as an innovative source of leadership, discovery and dissemination of evidence-based clinical processes, education, scholarship and public policy development regarding primary care.
- Care Delivery - Develop, implement and evaluate models of primary care delivery.
- Education - Enhance the education of all trainees about primary care and to develop the next generation of faculty leaders in primary care.
- Research - Conduct research and create new discoveries related to primary care medicine.
- Policy - Develop frameworks and models for translating research and innovation in primary care into health care policy and practice.
Internal Efforts Partners
- The Armstrong Institute for Patient Safety and Quality focuses on eliminating preventable harm for patients, eliminating health disparities, ensuring clinical excellence and creating a culture that values collaboration, accountability and organizational learning.
- The Beacham Center and Hopkins ElderPlus provide comprehensive geriatric care with services that include diagnosis and assessment, as well as education and treatment recommendations extending beyond prescriptions and focusing on promoting health and preventing disease while managing chronic conditions.
- The Center to Eliminate Cardiovascular Disparities is one of 10 National Institutes of Health-funded Centers for Population Health and Health Disparities focusing on improving control of hypertension in African-Americans.
- The Children's Medical Practice at Johns Hopkins Bayview provides comprehensive medical care for children through age 21.
- The Comprehensive Care Practice at Johns Hopkins Bavyiew features a team of experts that provides routine adult primary care and specialized care for patients with HIV or substance abuse problems.
- The Harriet Lane Clinic serves as a training site for medical students, pediatric residents and fellows who provide comprehensive health care services for approximately 8,000 children and youth up to 21 years of age.
- The Institute for Excellence in Education provides leadership in the areas of peer feedback and improvement of teaching, for which we are developing comprehensive methods and resources.
- Johns Hopkins Community Physicians, an affiliate of the Johns Hopkins Health System, is a multispecialty physician group with hospital-based physicians and 39 primary and specialty care outpatient sites.
- The Miller-Coulson Academy of Clinical Excellence is an initiative sponsored by the Center for Innovative Medicine that recognizes masterful physicians who are steadfastly committed to clinical excellence for the benefit of the patients and communities that they serve.
- The Osler Center for Clinical Excellence trains physicians in the basic elements of a sound doctor-patient relationship and is dedicated to training a new generation of doctors.
- The Johns Hopkins Primary Care Policy Center engages in research, analysis and education concerning the organization, financing and mode of delivery for health care, particularly to underserved and vulnerable populations.
- The Urban Health Institute is the starting point for forging true university and community partnerships in health care, education and community planning, with all partners working to change the trajectory for the children, youth and families of East Baltimore.
- The Medicine-Pediatrics Urban Health Residency Program and Urban Health Primary Care Track create physician leaders who serve as systems-level change agents and provide effective, longitudinal, comprehensive, coordinated, person-focused care for the inner-city patient.
- The Welch Center for Prevention, Epidemiology and Clinical Research is a multidisciplinary research center affiliated with the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and Bloomberg School of Public Health that promotes the health of the public by generating the knowledge required to prevent disease and its consequences.
Initiatives at Other Institutions
- Brown University Center for Primary Care and Prevention
- Bucksbaum Institute for Clinical Excellence
- Center for Primary Care
- Center for Primary Care, Prevention, and Clinical Partnerships
- National Center for Primary Care
- Primary Care Progress is a grass-roots network of innovators, educators, learners and advocates united by a new vision for revitalizing the primary care pipeline through strategic advocacy and trainee engagement in clinical innovation.
- The Centers or Health Policy and Primary Care and Outcomes Research