March 28, 2001
MEDIA CONTACT : Gary Stephenson
Johns Hopkins Medicine has opened a new parking facility, the 1500-space Caroline Street Garage, across from the Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center. Itís the latest in a series of parking initiatives undertaken by Hopkins during the past year and a half to ease parking problems for employees and visitors. Completed in just over 14 months, the Caroline Street Garage has entrances and exits at both McElderry and Monument streets and 40 spaces for over-sized vehicles and handicapped parking on the first level. With its red brick facings, the garage was designed to blend with the rest of the campus, and was designed architecturally to appear smaller and less imposing than its true size, Hopkins officials note.
Last year, Hopkins opened a new underground parking garage in the state-of-the-art Weinberg Building that houses the Cancer Center. For employees, Hopkins purchased the Church Home and Hospital parking lot. In addition, a large satellite surface parking area on Monument Street, site of the former Tower Ford facility, was completely renovated for employee parking. Later this year, a vehicle maintenance center will be added there, allowing employees to park and have their cars serviced while they are at work.
Patients as well as employees are benefiting from the various parking expansions. Since Caroline Street Garage was built primarily for employees, hundreds of parking spaces are now freed up for patients in the existing Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center garage.
News Media Home | Hopkins Medicine Home