Clinical Practice Opportunities
Student interns are given the opportunity to attend discussion sessions led by pharmacists from various areas of hospital and health system pharmacy practice. Areas of practice/topics include, but are not limited to the following: pharmacy administration, residency training, investigational drug services, research, pediatrics, oncology, internal medicine and critical care.
This forum provides experiences in topic discussions and medical literature critique and review.
Pharmacotherapy rounds and monthly departmental, ACPE approved Continuing Education programs are a forum that allows pharmacy residents and clinical pharmacists to formally present clinically relevant topics. The goal is to enhance the participant’s knowledge regarding the use of drug therapy and discuss its applicability to clinical practice. Student interns are welcome to attend these sessions, with the approval of their preceptor.
Student interns, working with their preceptor, will complete independent projects during their summer experience. The topics will be identified by the preceptor and results will be formally presented to the Department of Pharmacy at the conclusion of their internship.
Examples of projects completed in the past include:
- Establishment of an independent/integrated
practice model for pharmacists
- Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee/Formulary management
- Flex budgeting and optimization of pharmacy applications
- Pharmaceutical care concepts
- Quality assurance
- Chemotherapy safety
- Role of the Point of Care Pharmacist
- A 5S summer in the central pharmacy
- Methodology for determining pyxis complete inventory in the new clinical building
At the discretion of the preceptor, the student intern may attend meetings to increase their understanding of hospital and health system pharmacy, including but not limited to the following:
- Drug Use Surveillance Team (DUST)
- Pharmacy Education Council
- Clinical Practice Affairs Committee
- Medication Safety Committee
- Continuing Education Committee
- Administrative staff meetings