Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Department Affiliation: Primary: Chemistry; Secondary: JHU Malaria Institute ; Environmental Health Sciences Degree: Ph.D. Harvard University
Rank: Research Professor
Telephone Number: 410-516-4670
Fax Number: 410-516-8420
E-mail address: email@example.com
Homewood Address: 216 Remsen Hall, Department of Chemistry, Johns Hopkins University, 3400 N. Charles St., Baltimore, MD 21218
Organic and medicinal chemistry aimed toward rational design and synthesis of new compounds for effective and safe chemoprevention and chemotherapy of malaria and cancer.
Our research deals generally with development of new synthetic methods and asymmetric synthesis of natural products, with special emphasis on design and synthesis of new compounds having beneficial effects on the quality of human life (i.e., new medicinal agents). Recently, the Posner research team has prepared a promising analog of vitamin D3 for treatment of the skin disease psoriasis, a promising analog of the Chinese medicine qinghaosu for treatment of malaria, and some new vitamin D3 analogs as promising lead compounds for prevention of cancer. Professor Posner is well known for his involvement with organocopper chemistry as a researcher and writer. His original research publications and his two review articles and one book on organocopper chemistry have helped to make this area one of the fastest developing ones in modern synthetic organometallic chemistry.
- Moon, D.K., Singhal, V., Kumar, N., Shapiro, T.A, Posner G.H. Antimalarial Preclinical Drug Development: A Single Dose of a 5-Carbon-linked Trioxane Dimer Plus Mefloquine Cures Malaria-infected Mice. Drug Development Research 71:76-81, 2010. Pub Med Reference.
- Posner, G.H., Helvig, C., Cuerrier, D., Collop, D., Kharebov, A., Ryder, K., Petkovich, M. Vitamin D Analogs Targeting CYP24 in Chronic Kidney Disease. J. Steroid Biochem. Mol. Biol. 121:13-19, 2010. Pub Med Reference.
Somjen, D., Katzburg, S., Knoll, E., Sharon, O., Posner, G.H., Stern, N. Vitamin D Analogs Induce Lipoxygenase mRNA Expression and Activity as well as Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS) Production in Human Bone Cells. J. Steroid Biochem. Mol. Biol. 121:265-267, 2010. Pub Med Reference.
- Boger, R., Chiou, C.J., Liu, J.Y., Woodard, L.E., Rosenthal, A.S., Brando-Jones, L., Posner, G.H. Artemisinin-Derived Dimers Have Greatly Improved Anti-Cytomegalovirus Activity Compared to Artemisinin Monomers. PloSOne. 5(4):e10370, 2010. Pub Med Reference
- Hencken, C.P., Brando-Jones, L., Bordon, C., Stohler, R., Mott, B.T., Yolken, R., Posner, G.H., Woodard, LE. Thiazole, Oxadiazole, and Carboxamide Derivatives are Highly Selective and Potent Inhibitors of Toxoplasma gondii. J. Med. Chem. 53:3594-3601, 2010. Pub Med Reference.
- Hess, L., Posner, G.H. Asymmetric, Organocatalytic, 3-Step Synthesis of (E)-alpha-Hydroxy-β,γ-Unsaturated Esters and a Weinreb Amide. Organic Letters 12:2120-2122, 2010. Pub Med Reference.
- Genna, D., Hencken, C.H., Siegler, M., Posner, G.H. alpha-Chloro-β,γ-Unsaturated Esters: Enantiocontrolled Synthesis and Substitutions. Organic Letters 12:4694-4697, 2010. Pub Med Reference
- Xu, H., Posner, G.H., Stevenson, M., Campbell, F.C.. ApcMIN Modulation of Vitamin D Secosteroid Growth Control. Carcinogenesis 31:1434-1441, 2010. Pub Med Reference
- Somjen, D., Kartzburg, S., Kohen, E., Gayer, B., Posner, G.H., Yoles, I., Livne, E. The Effects of Native and Synthetic Estrogenic Compounds as Well as Vitamin D Less-Calcemic Investigation Analogs on Adipocytes Content in Rat Bone Marrow. Endocrinological Investigations 34:106-110, 2011. Pub Med Reference
- Moon, D.K., Tripathi, A., Sullivan, D., Siegler, M.A., Parkin, S., Posner, G.H. A Single Dose of a 5-Carbon-linked Trioxane Dimer Orthoester Plus Mefloquine Cures Malaria-infected Mice. Bioorg. Med. Chem. Letters 21:2773-2775, 2011. Pub Med Reference
- Hencken, C.H., Genna, D.T., Siegler, M.A., Posner, G.H. Highly Stereocontrolled Synthesis of 2, 3, 4-Trisubstituted Alkanoate Esters and Lactones. J. Org. Chemistry 76:5149-5155, 2011. Pub Med Reference
- Somjen, D., Kartzburg, S., Grafi-Cohen, L., Knoll, S., Sharon, O., Posner, G.H. Vitamin D. Metabolites and Analogs Induce Lipoxygenase mRNA Expression and Activity as well as Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS) Production in Human Bome Cell Line. J. Steroid Biochem. Mol. Biol. 123:85-89, 2011. Pub Med Reference
- He, R., Sandford, G., Hayward, G.S., Burns, W.H., Posner, G.H., Forman, M., Arav-Boger, R. Recombinant Luciferase-Expressing Human Cytomegalovirus (CMV) for Evaluation of CMV Inhibitors. Virology Journal 8:1-7, 2011. Pub Med Reference
Other graduate programs in which Dr. Posner participates: