I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Conditions We Treat: Allergies
People who suffer from allergies have immune systems that respond to common allergens in the environment — such as pollen and animal dander — by release of chemical mediators from the body such as histamine. The histamine and other chemical mediators which are released by the body then cause the allergy symptoms to develop.
Allergies: What You Need to Know
- About 45 million Americans suffer from allergies.
- Common symptoms of allergies include frequent sneezing, itchy eyes, nose or throat, stuffy nose, runny nose and postnasal drip.
- Allergies may also play a part in other disorders of the ear, nose and throat area, such as ear infections, hoarseness and sinusitis.
- Both adults and pediatric allergy patients can easily undergo evaluation and diagnostic allergy testing and receive their results within the same day. Allergies are diagnosed with either a skin test, where small amounts or allergen are placed on the skin, or with blood testing.
- The treatment of allergies typically involves the combination of avoidance of the allergens if possible, medications and immunotherapy (allergy shots or sublingual drops/tablets that are taken under the tongue at home). Medications helpful in treating allergies include nasal steroids and antihistamines.
Why Choose Johns Hopkins for Allergies?
Our Innovative Treatments
Learn more about sublingual immunotherapy.
Dr. Sandra Lin is a leader in the field of sublingual immunotherapy, an allergy treatment that replaces allergy shots with drops.
Our Diagnostic and Treatment Options
Learn more about diagnosing and treating allergies.
Our allergy specialists will conduct thorough allergy testing that includes a clinical examination and possible imaging or enoscopy. We provide patients with same-day results and offer each patient an individualized treatment plan.
Our Patient Education
Our Sinus Center team recorded online seminars and answers to frequently asked questions to keep our patients informed about their condition and treatment options.