Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Laryngoscopy and Bronchoscopy
A laryngoscopy is a procedure to examine the larynx. Fiberoptic laryngoscopy can be performed in the office using thin flexible scopes while the patient is awake. Laryngoscopy with other instruments is performed under anesthesia in the operating room. Using a thin, lighted tube called a fiberoptic laryngoscope, your doctor will view the airways and the structure and function of the voice box, including the motion of the vocal cords.
A bronchoscopy is a diagnostic test used to view the inside of the windpipe and the lungs.
These procedures can also be used to remove foreign bodies in the breathing passages or digestive tract treat masses or cysts in the airway. Therefore they can be considered therapeutic as well.
How is the test performed?
- Using a thin, lighted tube, called a scope, your doctor will view the airways and lungs
- While performing a laryngoscopy or bronchoscopy, your doctor may make a decision to open an airway blocked by a tumor or scarring, or place a stent
- Your doctor may take a piece of tissue for a biopsy, if necessary
How should I prepare my child?
Your doctor will give you very specific instructions about how to prepare for this procedure. Please follow those directions exactly.
What should I expect?
- Both a laryngoscopy and bronchoscopy are often performed as outpatient procedures, so you and your child will usually not be required to stay in the hospital overnight
- This diagnostic procedure is performed under general anesthesia or sedation for your child’s safety and comfort
When will we get the results?
Your doctor can identify structural problems immediately; additional culture or biopsies may take several days.
Request an Appointment
Please call us at 443-997-6467 (443-997-OHNS) to make an appointment at any of our three locations.