I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Cochlear Implant Tips
Improve your hearing success after cochlear implantation surgery with these tips from the Johns Hopkins Listening Center.
1) Contact your cochlear implant manufacturer as soon as an equipment problem occurs. They can help troubleshoot and replace necessary equipment immediately.
2) Check your magnet site regularly. Healthy skin is a must for continued cochlear implant use.
3) Reduce the magnet strength if it is applied too tightly or if the skin is red or irritated.
4) Having an additional surgery? Notify The Listening Center or your implant manufacturer about ways to keep your device safe during surgery.
5) CT Scans and X-Rays are safe, but contact your surgeon if you are prescribed an MRI.
6) Always take your backup equipment on vacation.
7) Use a dry aid kit every night to eliminate any moisture absorbed by your sound processor throughout the day.
8) Follow your implant company on social media for any updates about your equipment.
9) Cochlear implant manufacturers have support groups for recipients and their families.
10) Ask your audiologist about finding your local hearing loss association.
Find tips for being a caregiver to a cochlear implant recipient.
Find answers to the most frequently asked questions about cochlear implants.
Meet some other patients who have received a cochlear implant at the Johns Hopkins Listening Center.
Four of Tracy and Josh Huegel's five children were either born deaf or became deaf as a baby. Meet the family who received the gift of hearing at the Johns Hopkins Listening Center.
Meet Carol Rudy, a grandmother who got a new lease on life when she received a cochlear implantation at the age of 72.