I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Conditions We Treat: Tennis Elbow
Also called lateral epicondylitis, tennis elbow is a painful condition that occurs when the tendons on the outside (lateral side) of your elbow become injured and inflamed.
Tennis Elbow Treatment: Why Choose Johns Hopkins
- Whether your tennis elbow is a result of playing sports or painting a house, we have orthopaedic elbow specialists who can help you.
- Our specialists focus on nonsurgical treatments before considering surgery, which is rarely needed for tennis elbow.
- Many of our orthopaedic specialists are known on national and international levels and are involved in research to help inform their treatment approach.
Request an Appointment:
Tennis Elbow Treatment Options
- Modification of activity helps avoid movements and positions that make the pain worse.
- Icing, oral anti-inflammatory medications and cortisone injections can help limit pain and reduce inflammation.
- Wrist braces and elbow straps can be used to take the stress off the injured tendons.
- Stretching and strengthening exercises can help restore your range of motion and prevent further injury to the elbow tendons.
If the pain is severe, the range of motion is limited, and your tennis elbow doesn’t respond to other treatments, your doctor may recommend surgery. Surgery to repair ligaments in tennis elbow can be done through one open incision or minimally invasively through several small incisions, called arthroscopic surgery. Your orthopaedic elbow surgeon will suggest the best approach for your situation.
Our Tennis Elbow Specialists
What Causes Elbow Pain? | Q&A with Dr. John Ingari
Elbow injuries, tennis elbow, cubital tunnel and arthritis are all potential causes of elbow pain. Watch elbow specialist John Ingari, M.D., answer common questions about elbow pain, its origin, diagnostic methods and treatment options.
Request an Appointment
Already a Patient?
Traveling for Care?
Whether you're crossing the country or the globe, we make it easy to access world-class care at Johns Hopkins.