Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
The CVPCU is a 32 bed inpatient surgical unit specializing in the post operative care of cardiac and vascular patients. The unit offers two levels of care: IMC level and Telemetry/General Care. The CVPCU provides care to Heart Transplant and Lung Transplant patients. Additionally, we specialize in the care of patients with Ventricular Assist Devices (VAD) for destination therapy or awaiting heart transplantation. We detect, monitor and treat cardiac arrhythmias; improve respiratory status; teach patients and their families about the surgery, postoperative care and medications; and work closely with physical therapists to help patients resume a normal life. The unit operates 24 hours a day and utilizes the Patient Centered Care Model as the care delivery system.
- Adults 21-90 years of age (average age 60)
- Acute Care
- Primarily elective admissions
Length of stay
- Average length of stay: 4 to 10 days
Number of Beds
- 32 total
- 12 intermediate care
- 20 telemetry
- 3-4:1 day shifts;
- 4-5:1 night shifts
- 12 hours with 50/50 day/night rotation and every third weekend
- Computerized self scheduling with required availability shifts
- Every other holiday
- Nurse practitioners/Physician Assistants
- Clinical technicians
- Clinical Nurse Externs
- New Graduates: 16 weeks with: Nurse Residency Program—Adult Track
- Experienced RNs: 10-12 weeks