Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Provider of comprehensive medical and surgical pediatric intensive care, for children from birth through adolescence, who are experiencing acute or chronic system failure, multisystem trauma and organ transplantation. The Johns Hopkins Children’s Center PICU is Maryland’s only Level 1 pediatric trauma center and state-designated pediatric burn ICU for children up to 15 years of age.
- Newborn to 21
- Medical diagnoses include respiratory failure, metabolic disorders, seizure disorders, multiorgan failure, shock, toxic ingestions, ECMO
- Surgeries include extensive general, cardiac, thoracic, orthopedic, neurologic procedures
Number of Beds
- 12 hour shifts
- Flexible, self scheduling
- 90 percent RN, 95 percent BSN-prepared
- 10 percent nurse extenders
- PICU-specific classes and practicum for all new staff
- 12 weeks for experienced staff
- 16-week Nurse Residency Program—PEDS Track with post-orientation mentoring