Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
When you arrive as a new grad, our six-month fellowship program provides the specific training to build the foundation you’ll need to become a neuroscience specialty nurse. Through didactic and hands-on learning opportunities, you’ll progressively build your skills and your confidence.
Unit Orientation, Weeks 1 through 8
- Precepted on unit
- Lectures and skills sessions
- Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus
- Brain Rescue Unit
- Epilepsy Monitoring Unit
- Anatomy and physiology
- Assessment skills
- Trauma education
- Clinical topics
- Nursing model of care
- Practice that emphasizes caring, compassion and healing
- Leadership development: communication, delegation, cultural understanding, Charge nurse class, preceptor workshop, NCIII Role
Enrichment and Direct Care
- Spend a day in the general operating room with our world-renowned neurosurgeons.
- Learn about a patient’s diagnosis in the Neurological Consultation Clinic or Neuroradiology.
- Observe brain cutting in Pathology.
- Accompany the multidisciplinary health care team members: respiratory therapists, shift coordinators and wound-care nurses.
- Observe diagnostic tests: EEG, TEE, CT, MRI.
- Understand the roles of the chief resident and the ED consult resident by following them throughout the day.
- Experience the care continuum by following patients across the neuroscience setting.
- Reflect on your fellowship progress at periodic group meetings.
- Maryland RN license
- Confirmed position on Zayed 12 West or Zayed 12 East
- Employment commitment of 18 months from hire date
If you’d like to apply for the Neurology and Neurological Surgery Nurse Fellowship or want more details, please contact:
Linda Huffman BSN, MSN
Neuroscience Nurse Manager, Zayed 12 East Neuroscience Acute Care