Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
- Comprehensive critical care for patients with complex neurological disorders and disease processes. This includes the management of a wide variety of neurology and neurosurgical patients.
- Interventions include advanced neurological assessment and monitoring of intracranial pressure, cerebral oxygenation, comprehensive cardiac monitoring, and management of airway and respiratory issues in the neuroscience patient population.
- Therapies provided may include ventilatory support, continuous renal replacement therapies, EEG monitoring, and various therapies that enhance cerebrovascular perfusion.
- Ages: Adolescent to geriatric
- Diagnoses include traumatic injuries to the brain and spinal cord, tumors of the central nervous system, cerebrovascular disorders that include hemorrhagic and ischemic stroke, subarachnoid hemorrhage, cerebral aneurysms, arteriovenous malformations. Also includes neuromuscular diseases, status epilepticus, and infectious diseases of the central nervous system.
- Average length of stay: 4 days
Number of Beds
- 1:1 or 1:2
- 12 hours
- Day/night rotation, self-scheduling
- BSN, diploma and associate-level RN
- Clinical nurse specialist, nurse practitioners
- CNRN, CCRN, ACLS certified
- 16 weeks
- New grads: Nurse Residency Program—Adult Track
- Progressive education, including national neuroscience nursing certification preparatory course, CNRN certification, ACLS.