Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Comprehensive critical medical and surgical care for brain and spinal-cord related patients. Our interventions include neurological, cardiac, and respiratory resuscitation and the management of cerebral edema and increased intracranial pressure. Therapies provided may include pulmonary artery catheters, continuous renal replacement therapies, and full ventilatory support.
- Ages: Adolescent to geriatric
- Diagnoses include brain and spinal trauma, brain attack, neuromuscular diseases, brain or spinal tumor, status epilepticus, subarachnoid hemorrhage, infectious diseases of the central nervous system, and organ procurement.
- Average length of stay: 3 days
Number of Beds
- 8 and 12 hours
- Day/night rotation, self-scheduling
- BSN, diploma and associate-level RNs
- Clinical nurse specialist, nurse practitioners
- Almost 50 percent are CNRN / ACLS certified
- 12 weeks: Includes 2 weeks of unit-specific educational classes
- New grads: Nurse Residency Program—Adult Track
- Progressive education, including national neuroscience nursing certification preparatory course, CNRN certification, ACLS.