Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Promise and Progress - Giant Food Supports Childhood Cancer Research
The Time is Now: 2010-2011
Giant Food Supports Childhood Cancer Research
Date: November 11, 2010
Kimmel Cancer Center pediatric oncology patients (left to right) Syed, Brianna, Morgan, and Daniel are the faces of the 2010 Triple Winner Campaign to benefit childhood cancer research.
Within just weeks of beginning its 2010 Triple Winner game and announcing a goal of raising $1.5 million for pediatric cancer research, Giant Food of Landover, Md., had already taken in $1.25 million. One hundred percent of the money raised goes to the Kimmel Cancer Center and Children’s Cancer Foundation, providing much-needed funding for pediatric cancer research.
“The overwhelming support from our customers and associates in this fight against childhood cancer through Triple Winner is truly amazing,” says Robin Michel, president of Giant Food of Landover, Md. “Giant is a neighborhood grocery store, and I’m pleased that our neighborhoods and communities are coming together to make a difference for children in Maryland, Washington, D.C., Virginia, and Delaware.”
Triple Winner is a scratch card game. For every $1 donation at their neighborhood Giant, customers receive a scratch card and a chance to win a free product, gift card, or cash prize up to $10,000.
“We are very appreciative of the support we receive from Giant and its customers,” says Donald Small, director of pediatric oncology at the Kimmel Cancer Center. “Funding for pediatric cancer research is very limited, and these donations are essential to our ability to make new discoveries and advance therapies for children with cancer.”
Articles in this Issue
Cover Story: Personalized Medicine is Here, The Time is Now
- Personalized Medicine is Here: The Time is Now
- Cover Story Sidebar: Our Cancer Research is Curing Other Diseases Too
- Cover Story Sidebar: A New Paradigm for Cancer Drug Discovery
- Cover Story Sidebar: Personalized Approaches in Pediatric Cancer
- Cover Story Sidebar: The Frankenstein Project
- Cover Story Sidebar: The Serendipitous Discovery of a Cancer Starter
- Cover Story Sidebar: The Mathematics of Curing Cancer
- Immune Cell Commander
- A Personalized Genetic Profile for Brain Cancer
- A New "Twist" in Breast Cancer
- JHU Engineering Student Invents Melanoma Screening Device
- Special Delivery: Biodegradable Particles Transport Drugs to Diseased Tissues and Organs
- Targeting Brain Cancer Stem Cells
- Vaccine Clears Out Leukemia Cells
- Does Low Cholesterol Equal Lower Risk of High-Grade Prostate Cancer?
- A Common Good - The Commonwealth Foundation
- Helping Us Solve The Cancer Puzzle
- The Skip Viragh Center
- Making Waves to Fight Cancer
- Gift Brings Complementary Care to Cancer Patients
- A Major Gift for Kidney Cancer Research
- Giant Food Supports Childhood Cancer Research
- Wawa Cares About Cancer Patients
- Young Lacrosse Players Faced Off Against Childhood Cancer