I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Promise and Progress - Largest Gifts to the Johns Hopkins Institutions
Sidney Kimmel Gives Hopkins Its Biggest Gift Ever
Largest Gifts to the Johns Hopkins Institutions
Date: December 1, 2002
This is a listing of the largest gifts and pledges ever made to The Johns Hopkins University and/or to The Johns Hopkins Hospital.
1. $150 million – Sidney Kimmel to the University for cancer research and patient care at The Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins, 2001.
2. $100 million – Michael R. Bloomberg to the University for all of the academic divisions, the Milton S. Eisenhower Library, and student facilities on the Homewood campus, and to the Hospital and the University’s School of Medicine for the cancer buildings initiative; initial commitment in 1995 and completion in 1998 (Mr. Bloomberg is a 1964 graduate of the Whiting School of Engineering and chair of the University Board of Trustees.)
3. $100 million – Anonymous donor to the University to create the Johns Hopkins Malaria Institute at the Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2001
4. $58.5 million – Anonymous donor to the University to create the Institute for Cell Engineering at the School of Medicine, 2001
5. $50 million – Zanvyl and Isabelle Krieger Fund to the University for the Krieger School of Arts and Sciences endowment, 1992 (Mr. Krieger was a 1928 graduate of the Krieger School of Arts and Sciences.)
6. $30 million – Anonymous donor to the University for the School of Medicine to create the Institute for Basic Biomedical Sciences; initial commitment in 1996 and additional commitment in 2000
7. $21.4 million – Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to the University for the School of Public Health to support research on measles vaccine, 2000
8. $20 million – R. Champlin and Debbie Sheridan to the University for the Milton S. Eisenhower Library, 1994 (Mr. Sheridan is a 1952 graduate of the Krieger School of Arts and Sciences and a trustee emeritus of the University.)
$20 million – Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Foundation to the Hospital for the Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Building (clinical cancer building), 1995
$20 million – Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to the University for the Bill and Melinda Gates Institute for Population and Reproductive Health in the School of Public Health, 1999
$20 million – Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to the University for the School of Public Health to support research on vitamins and micronutrients, 2000
9. $17.7 million – Glenn Stewart to the Hospital for unrestricted use, 1982
10. $17 million – Whitaker Foundation to the University to create the Whitaker Biomedical Engineering Institute in the Schools of Engineering and Medicine, 1998
Articles in this Issue
- In the News: Getting Rid of Larynx Cancer While Saving the Voice Box
- Solving the Mystery of Melanoma
- Another Breakthrough Treatment for Leukemia
- Research in Action: Big Tobacco Pays Up
- New Prostate Cancer Drug Delays Disease Progression
- CRF Research Grant Summaries
- Cancer Center Healing and Sharing: A Tribute to our Fellow Citizens, Sept. 11, 2001
- Questions and Answers Regarding the Recent Kimmel Gift for Cancer Research at Johns Hopkins
- Sidney Kimmel Gives $150 Million to Hopkins for Cancer Research and Patient
- Interview: The Cancer Patient's Advocate
- The Aplastic Anemia Controversy
- Young Woman's Death Inspired Kimmel's Philanthropic Journey