From the Editor
Date: February 1, 2013
Shortly before going to press with this issue, we learned of the passing of Steven Muller, former longtime president of Johns Hopkins University (1972-1990), at the age of 85.
Steve Muller’s impact on Johns Hopkins was far-reaching and can be seen today in so many ways and so many venues—from the Space Telescope Science Institute, which he was instrumental in bringing to Baltimore, to the Hopkins-Nanjing Center in China, established through his prescience in recognizing China’s future as a global power.
Perhaps most important to School of Medicine faculty and alumni, however, was the leadership he showed in shoring up the medical institutions’ physical infrastructure, and its finances, at a critical time.
Muller was the first person since Daniel Coit Gilman in 1889 to serve as the head of both the university and the hospital. Mention the words “building project” and we think immediately of the sparkling new clinical towers that opened last spring. But the more seasoned among us will recall an earlier period of excitement during Muller’s decade as hospital president, from 1972 to 1982: construction of the 60-bed cancer center, teaching and patient care towers, the Meyer Center for Psychiatry and the Neurosciences, and expansion of the Wilmer Eye Institute.
And, nearly three decades before the launch of our innovative Genes to Society curriculum, Muller made his own mark on medical education when he chaired a national panel that called for renewed emphasis on the physician-patient relationship.
A true visionary, Steve Muller will go down in history as one of Hopkins’ greats.