Skip Navigation
Print This Page
Share this page: More

Hopkins Medicine Magazine - IN MEMORIAM

Hopkins Medicine Spring/Summer 2013


Date: June 7, 2013

School of Medicine

Joan H. Gault ’40, of Kennett Square, Pa., who was one of only five women in her Hopkins medical school class, died on Dec. 17, 2012. She was 97. A professor of physiology, she joined the faculty at Temple University’s School of Medicine in 1945 and remained there for 30 years. Upon retiring in 1975, she returned to Haddonfield, N.J., where she had been raised, and founded Interfaith Caregivers, an organization that helps the elderly or disabled live independently.

Thomas W. Simpson Jr., Nov ’43, of Philadelphia, Pa., whose collaboration with other physicians in the use of then experimental oral rehydration therapy in 1971 helped save millions of Bangladesh refugees from a deadly cholera epidemic, died on Dec. 29, 2012, of congestive heart failure. He was 94. 

Gibson Packer Buchanan ’44, of Pittsburgh, Pa., a pediatrician who cared for generations of families in the city where he was raised, died on Feb. 2, 2013. He was 92.  

James Roncie Duke ’48, of Baltimore, a protégé of pioneering ophthalmic pathologist Jonas Friedenwald, who chose him to head the Wilmer Ophthalmological Institute’s pathology laboratory, died of dementia on Oct. 16, 2012. He was 88. After heading the laboratory from 1955 to 1968, Duke left Hopkins to begin a private practice, retiring in 1982.    

George E. McKinnon ’49, of Pueblo, Colo., who developed the School of Medical Pathology at St. Mary-Corwin Hospital in Pueblo and served as director of the hospital’s laboratories, president of its medical staff, and head of the Pueblo County Medical Society and the Society of Clinical Pathologists, died on Dec. 2, 2012. He was 86. 

Solomon J. Cohen ’51, a beloved pediatrician in Westfield, N.J., for 43 years, died there on Jan. 8, 2013, of complications due to kidney failure. He was 87. 

John Doss ’52, of Bolinas, Calif., an epidemiologist and pediatrician whose career took him to India, American Samoa, and points in between, died in his sleep on Nov. 4, 2012. He was 89. Trained as an epidemiologist at the Centers for Disease Control, he settled in San Francisco, maintained a private practice for 14 years, and then joined the city health clinic. In 1974, he was a consultant epidemiologist for the World Health Organization’s Smallpox Eradication Program in India. Between 1982 and 1984, he was director of Maternal and Child Health at the Lyndon B. Johnson Tropical Medical Center in American Samoa.   

Robert B. Mellins ’52, of New York, N.Y., an internationally recognized authority on childhood asthma whose pioneering research and dedicated training of physicians and other health care professionals improved the lives of children worldwide, died on Dec. 12, 2012. He was 84. He established the Pediatric Pulmonary Division at Columbia University’s College of Physicians and Surgeons; served as president of the American Thoracic Society, the Fleischner Society, and the L.A. Johns Foundation; and as vice president of the American Lung Association.  

Daniel C.W. “D.C.” Finney ’53, of Baltimore, a highly respected surgeon, died on Nov. 5, 2012, of heart failure. He was 88. 

Peter John Comatos ’54, of Fort Lauderdale, Fla., a prominent molecular virologist and infectious disease expert who discovered the presence of double-strand RNA in nature, died unexpectedly on June 23, 2012. He was 83. Comatos’ landmark discovery increased the understanding of viruses and led to the development of strategies to treat the diseases they cause. He was chief of the Division of Animal Virology at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Institute of Research and later joined the U.S. Army Medical Corps as an infectious disease expert.  

Robert S. Donoho ’54, of Zanesville, Ohio, a general surgeon who was president and chief of the medical staff at what now is the Genesis-Bethesda Hospital and the Good Samaritan Hospital in Zanesville, died at home on Nov. 7, 2012. He was 84. 

Franklin Vail Peale ’56, of Pittsford, N.Y., who was president of the medical and dental staff of The Genesee Hospital in Rochester, N.Y., where he practiced orthopedic surgery from 1963 to 2000, died on Nov. 4, 2012. He was 82.

Philip J. Ferris ’58, of Lutherville, Md., the former longtime head of the Department of Surgery at what now is Baltimore County’s MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center, died on Nov. 8, 2012, of cardiac arrest. He was 79. 

Frederick M. Rosenbloom ’62, of Miami Beach, Fla., who was instrumental in discovering the enzyme defect in Lesch-Nyhan disease, a rare, inherited disorder, while serving as a researcher at the National Institutes of Health, died on Nov. 11, 2012. He was 76.

Winston Paulding Caine Jr. ’63, of Signal Mountain, Tenn., a prominent hematologist and internist who served as chief of both the hematology service and medical staff at Chattanooga’s Erlanger Hospital, died at his home on Oct. 23, 2012. He was 75. 

Charles M. Johnson III ’72, of Earlysville, Va., director of pediatric otolaryngology at VCU Medical Center in Richmond, died on Dec. 22, 2012, in a Charlottesville health care center. He was 65. He taught otolaryngology at the University of Chicago before moving to Charlottesville in 1984 to become an assistant professor at the University of Virginia. He also was chief of Surgery at Martha Jefferson Hospital from 1998 to 2000. A Navy veteran reactivated during 1991’s Operation Desert Storm, he was acting director of Surgical Services and chairman of Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery at the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, Md.

Kuan-Teh Jeang ’84, of Rockville, Md., chief of molecular virology at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases’ Laboratory of Molecular Microbiology and a 27-year veteran at the NIH, died suddenly on Jan. 27, 2013. He was 54. Described as a “dynamo” of a scientist by Michael Gottesman, deputy director for intramural research at the NIH, Jeang was a major figure in the fields of HIV and HTLV-1. Jeang co-authored more than 300 publications, edited six books, and was editor-in-chief of the journal Retrovirology, co-editor of other publications, and past president of the Society of Chinese Bioscientists in America.

Elizabeth O’Hearn ’85, of Baltimore, a dedicated physician, teacher, and researcher in neurology and neuroscience who made a significant impact on the field of neurological disorders, died on Nov. 11, 2012. She was 53. She collaborated on more than 15 research publications with the late Mark Molliver, professor emeritus of neuroscience and neurology, who died in May 2012. 


Former Faculty, House Staff

Irwin W. Pollack (fellow, psychiatry, 1961; faculty, medicine/psychiatry, 1969), of Tuscon, Ariz., a pioneer in developing the integrated therapy for traumatic brain injuries that now is standard, died on Jan. 6, 2013, of complications of the blood disease myelodysplastic syndrome. He was 85.

Wilma B. Bias (fellow, medicine, 1963-64; faculty, medicine/surgery, 1964-96; professor emerita, medicine, 1996-2013), of Baltimore, the first woman PhD to become a full professor in the School of Medicine, died on Jan. 29, 2013. She was 85. She was one of the founders of the American Society for Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics (ASHI).  

Ramez S. Azoury (HS, obstetrics, 1964; fellow, medicine, 1970), of Norfolk, Va., who led obstetrics and gynecology departments in both his native Beirut, Lebanon, and Norfolk, died on Jan. 12, 2013. He was 82.

Peter J. Tutschka (fellow, medicine, 1971-75; oncology, 1975-76; faculty, medicine/oncology, 1975-83), of Hartford, Conn., among the first to specialize in bone marrow transplantation, died on Jan. 11, 2013. He was 67. 

Walter A. Scott (fellow, molecular biology and genetics, 1975), of Coral Gables, Fla., died on Jan. 28, 2013, of complications from a stroke. He was 69. Scott was known for his work on HIV resistance to the drug AZT and for mentoring hundreds of students during nearly 40 years as head of the molecular virology research laboratory at the University of Miami’s Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine.  

Michael Ray Spence (faculty, obstetrics and gynecology, 1975-84), of Lakeside, Mont., former chair of Obstetrics and Gynecology at Hahnemann University’s School of Medicine and chief medical officer for the Montana Department of Public Health and Human Services, died from a pulmonary embolism on Dec. 25, 2012. He was 73.

Related Content

© The Johns Hopkins University, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, and Johns Hopkins Health System. All rights reserved.

Privacy Policy and Disclaimer