School of Medicine
Date: May 20, 2011
G. Cloyd Krebs ’47, of Provo, Utah, who was dedicated to making house calls—even on the day he retired in 1987, after 54 years in practice—died on Aug. 14, 2010. He was 87. Born in Canada and raised in Idaho, he served as a captain in the Air Force Medical Corps, where he was stationed in France during the Korean War.
Jerome Bellet ’51, of Pompton Lakes, N.J., former chief of ophthalmology and president of the medical staff at Chilton Hospital in Pompton Plains, N.J., died on Jan. 1. He was 85. After completing both a surgical internship and an ophthalmology residency at Wilmer, he practiced ophthalmology in New Jersey for 50 years. He also was an accomplished artist and avid art collector.
Matthew Pollack ’68, of Bethesda, Md., an expert in infectious diseases and professor emeritus at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Bethesda, died on Jan. 30 of Parkinson’s disease. He was 68. Pollack taught at the University of the Health Sciences from 1978 until his retirement in 2008, receiving the school’s University Medal and Meritorious Service Award for his achievements there. Known for his research on Pseudomonas aeruginosa, a common bacterium that causes infections in hospitalized patients, he was the author or co-author of more than 200 research papers.
Former Faculty,House Staff
William Thomas Moore (HS, obstetrics, 1939-43), of Richmond, Va., an obstetrician and gynecologist who devoted his life to helping others, especially those with mental illness, died on Nov. 22, 2010. He was 95. His residency at Hopkins ended when he entered the Army during World War II, serving in the South Pacific. After the war, he opened a practice in Richmond and delivered thousands of babies over a three-decade career. He later donated 30 acres to found Gateway Homes of Greater Richmond, a transitional residential treatment program for adults with mental illness who seek to live independently. The father of a son with mental illness, he was the initial financier of the ongoing program, from which his own son later graduated.
Philip P. Steptoe, Jr. (HS, obstetrics, 1940-44), of Chevy Chase, Md., who brought thousands of babies into the world during his half-century as an obstetrician and gynecologist, died of dementia on Nov. 30, 2010. He was 98. Following his obstetrics residency at Hopkins, he served in the Army Medical Corps during World War II. He then established a private practice in Washington, D.C., where he long was associated with the old Columbia Hospital for Women.
Sami A. Brahim (fellow, pulmonary disease, 1970-72; faculty, medicine, 1972-2010; director, Chest Clinic, 1974-78), of Timonium, Md., a much-admired pulmonologist known as “Dr. Sami” to his patients, died of cancer on June 27. He was 68. A native of Abancay, Peru, he was chief of the pulmonary divisions at both St. Joseph’s and Bon Secours hospitals in Baltimore between 1974 and 2002. He also was associate chief of the Department of Medicine at Bon Secours and affiliated with Good Samaritan, Mercy, St. Agnes, and North Arundel hospitals, as well as the Greater Baltimore Medical Center.
Haskins Kazunori “Chuck” Kashima (faculty, otolaryngology, and oncology, 1970-2010; faculty, oncology, 1985-2001), of Baltimore, a world-renowned expert on the human papilloma virus and its impact on the larynx, died on Nov. 11 of complications from Alzheimer’s disease. He was 78. Known to generations of residents as the “Velvet Hammer” because of his quiet, gentlemanly insistence on excellence, Kashima conducted pioneering research and lectured worldwide on recurrent respiratory papillomatosis. He was the moving force behind installation of a CO2 laser at Johns Hopkins Hospital for treatment of laryngeal disease.
Chi-Tsung Su (faculty, plastic surgery, 1971-2010), of Towson, Md., a key figure in establishing the now-acclaimed Burn Center at Johns Hopkins Bayview, died on Dec. 27 of cancer. He was 74. Known as “C.T.,” he was considered one of the region’s finest technical plastic surgeons, well-known for his meticulous management of tissue, development of innovative techniques, and mastery at injecting local anesthetic. The author of numerous medical journal articles, he requested that a memorial fund be established following his death to foster plastic surgery research.
Peter J. Golueke (faculty, surgery, 1986-99), of Baltimore, died on Feb. 21 of a brain tumor. He was 55. A founder of Vascular Surgery Associates, LLC, he was chief of the Division of Vascular Surgery at the Greater Baltimore Medical Center, on whose board of directors he also served from 1995 to 1999. A much-admired practitioner, he was named among Baltimore’s finest vascular surgeons four times by Baltimore Magazine. He was acclaimed for his diagnostic and technical skills, as well as the remarkable rapport he developed with his patients.
Harry M. Marks (fellow, faculty, history of medicine, 1989-2011), of Baltimore, died on Jan. 25 of prostate cancer. He was 64. Author of The Progress of Experiment: Science and Therapeutic Reform in the United States, 1900-1990, as well as numerous journal articles, Marks was an internationally recognized authority on the history of 20th-century medicine, clinical trials, and public health. His wide-ranging scholarship and breadth of knowledge led to joint appointments to the faculties of the Johns Hopkkins Krieger School of Arts and Sciences and the Bloomberg School of Public Health.
Charles N. “Chaz” Schoenfeld (faculty, emergency medicine, 1989-2008), of Middle River, Md., died on Dec. 10 of cancer. He was 60. Vice head of emergency medicine at Johns Hopkins Bayview, he was known for being a supportive mentor and superb physician, and once was named the campus’s Emergency Department Teacher of the Year.
Jimmy Boyd Zachary (fellow, medicine, 1961-63; faculty, medicine, 1963-2011), of Ruxton, Md., a pioneer in the study and treatment of kidney disease, died on Feb. 15 of cancer. He was 83. A graduate of Harvard’s medical school, he became an intern and chief resident at the old Baltimore City Hospitals, now Johns Hopkins Bayview, where he remained for nearly 50 years. In 1968, he organized the surgical team there that performed the first kidney transplant in Maryland, and in 1974, he founded the medical center’s renal medicine division. A tireless advocate for his patients, he would send taxicabs or a technician on his staff to bring in patients if they failed to show up for dialysis, since many patients lacked transportation.s honor with the support of former patients of his and John Niparko, currently interim director of otolaryngology–head and neck surgery, and the first to hold the George T. Nager Professorship. NAG
The School of Medicine also has received word of the following deaths:
Lester Aubrey Wall, Jr.
(faculty, medicine, 1950-69)
on Jan. 18, 2011
(faculty, psychiatry, 1951-52)
on Aug. 10, 2010
(HS, fellow, radiology, 1976-79;
faculty, radiology, 1984-90)
on Oct. 26, 2010