Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Dome - Employee Rx: Pharmacy perks ready for pickup
Employee Rx: Pharmacy perks ready for pickup
Date: March 4, 2011
The friendly neighborhood pharmacy model of yesteryear that promised convenience and good customer service is alive and well at all six Johns Hopkins outpatient pharmacies.
Beyond the obvious advantage of having prescriptions filled at the workplace—there are four pharmacies in East Baltimore, one at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center and one at Howard County General Hospital—employees can get refill medications online.
Discounts also await employees who have prescriptions filled at any of the six locations, depending on insurance plan. Those enrolled in the Employer Health Plans (EHP) can receive three months’ of medication for the price of two months co-payments (some restrictions apply) when presenting prescriptions written for 90 days at the newly remodeled Monument Street Pharmacy on the East Baltimore campus, the Bayview Medical Center Pharmacy, and the pharmacy on the Howard County General campus.
And employees who shop at any of the outpatient pharmacies also receive 10 percent off over-the-counter drugs and aids, such as cough and cold medicines and Band-Aids.
At all six pharmacies, the following additional perks apply to all consumers:
- Transfer of a prescription from an outside pharmacy: Hopkins pharmacy staff will call your pharmacy or physician so that there’s no need to get a new prescription (some restrictions apply).
- Most major insurance plans are accepted.
- Specialty medications not readily available in community pharmacies
- Free medication therapy management:
- Arrangements can be made for a pharmacist to sit down with you or a group to review meds and side effects. And if a drug isn’t covered by insurance, the pharmacist will call your doctor to discuss an alternative drug.
- Staff members will help you understand and navigate your insurance plan’s requirements, authorizations and limitations.
Watch for special discounts at individual pharmacies and for more perks, as a pharmacy in the new clinical buildings nears completion. Hours of the pharmacies vary (Weinberg is open seven days). For a list of locations, hours, phone numbers and information on filling prescriptions online, visit www.hopkinsmedicine.org/outpatientpharmacy or call 1-888-264-0393.
—Judy F. Minkove