Issue No. 8
Date: October 1, 2013
Now in its 46th year, The Johns Hopkins Women’s Board Best Dressed Sale offers savings on gently used, new, and vintage apparel, jewelry, shoes and accessories for women and men. All sales benefit patient care at The Johns Hopkins Hospital. Last year’s event garnered more than $200,000, funding the Meals on Demand program for hospital patients and sleep chairs for their family members. The sale takes place Oct. 25-27 inside the Evergreen Carriage House, 4545 N. Charles St. For details, call the Women’s Board Office at 410-955-9341 or visit womensboard.jhmi.edu.
Top Tips for Shopping Success
- Consider attending the preview sale. For $45, you get first crack at the merchandise, which means you won’t have to fight as big a crowd rifling through the racks. The fee includes light fare and wine. Your donation and all purchases support patient care.
- Wear comfortable, simple clothes. You’ll be changing in and out of things in a group dressing area, so wear clothes that are easily put on and removed. Wearing a basic black top and/or tights can save time, especially if you try on separates.
- Bring a friend. Someone who knows your taste and size can help scour the racks, bring additional outfits to the dressing room and provide honest opinions about potential purchases.
- Don’t miss the communal rack of rejects in the dressing area. The houndstooth jacket that didn’t work out for one shopper might be perfect for your upcoming presentation.
- Look for brand new items among the gently used ones. Increasingly, stores with overstocks are donating items to this sale.
- Keep in mind that vintage is hot. The Best Dressed Sale offers an expanded line of vintage clothes, as well as a knowledgeable volunteer who can comment on fashions that are making a comeback.
—Judy F. Minkove