Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Conquest - CRF Inventions to the Marketplace
CRF Inventions to the Marketplace
Date: May 1, 2010
Inventions by CRF investigators are moving discoveries from the laboratory to the marketplace:
- An epigenetic test for colorectal cancer risk developed by Andrew Feinberg is licensed to Orion Genomics
- Two research tools invented by Ben Ho Park for breast cancer discovery have been licensed to Horizon Discovery
- Patents are pending for Victor Velculescu’s first ever analysis of the tyrosine phosphatome, genes known to be good therapeutic targets in colorectal cancer
- A novel therapeutic approach by Shyam Biswal addressing treatment resistance and tumor progression has been optioned to Quark and patents are pending in the U.S. and Canada
- A patent is pending for Mary Armanios’ genetic test of telomere-associated genes. Telomeres are tiny protective caps on the end of chromosomes. Shortened telomeres have been linked to cancer.
Other technologies developed by CRF investigators, include therapeutic compounds that block a cancer-related gene pathway called Nrf2, LigAmp, a sensitive test for detecting certain gene mutations, and a handheld patient education and decision support tool.