I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
About Pilot Research Grants
Up to 5 pilot grants of $20,000 each will be awarded each year. Grants are given on a competitive basis to mentees of minority background conducting neuro-AIDS research. Awardees of these grants have been called “Scholars.”
The progress of these scholars is closely watched and reviewed each month at the Executive Committee meetings. Feedback and advice as appropriate is provided to each of the scholars.
Current Scholars 2014 - 2015
|Name of Scholar 2014 - 2015||Career Stage||Home Institution||Pilot Project Title or Research Interest|
|Mario Bianchet, PhD||Early Career||Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine||Association of antioxidant-response SNP's with HAND persistence in post-cART era|
|Lisa Mangus, DVM||Predoctoral||Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine||Beyond the brain: SIV replication, reservoirs, and inflammation in the CNS spinal cord compartment|
|Valerie Oji, PharmD, BCPP||Early Career||Texas Southern University||Implementing HAND assessments and treatments to specialty medication therapy management (MTM) in HIV/AIDS infected psychiatric populations|
|Deanna Saylor, MD, MHS||Early Career||Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine||Association between HIV subtype and inflammatory markers with peripheral neuropathy and HIV-associated neurocognitive disorders in persons with HIV|
|Gabriel Wagner, MD||Early Career||University of San Diego||HIV-1 dual infection and neurocognitive impairment|
2013 - 2014
- Raissa Delmestre, PhD from University of Puerto Rico, San Juan
- Yoelvis Garcia-Mesa, PhD from Case Western Reserve University
- Yamil Gerena, PhD from University of Puerto Rico Medical Sciences Campus
- Angela Pool, PhD from Emory University
- Kimberly Smith, PhD from Cedars Sinai, UCLA Medical Center
- Patrick Waring from Palo Alto University
2012 - 2013
- David Alvarez-Carbonell, PhD from Case Western Reserve University
- Sarah Beck, DVM from Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Cari Fritz-French from Emory University School of Medicine
- Jennifer Lyons, MD from Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Rosa Rodriguez, PhD from University of Puerto Rico Medical Sciences Campus
- Bryan Smith, MD from Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- April Thames, PhD from University of California Los Angeles
- Cai Yu from University of Nebraska
2011 - 2012
- Valeriya Avdoshina, PhD from Georgetown University
- Crystal Bethel-Brown from University of Nebraska
- Nicholas Kenney, PhD from Hampton University
- Kelly Metcalf-Pate, PhD, DVM from Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Fabian Santiago from University of Puerto Rico Medical Sciences Campus
- Lu Yang from University of Nebraska
2010 - 2011
- Marilou Andres, PhD from University of Hawaii
- Jose Rodriguez, PhD from Universidad Central del Caribe School of Medicine
- Valerie Toodle from Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Crystal Watkins, MD from Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
2009 - 2010
- Summer Acevedo, PhD from Universidad Central del Caribe School of Medicine
- Charlene Gamaldo, MD from Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Juliana Perez-Laspiur, PhD from University of Puerto Rico Medical Sciences Campus
- Melissa Agsalda from University of Hawaii
Request an Appointment
Adult Neurology: 410-955-9441
Pediatric Neurology: 410-955-4259
Adult Neurosurgery: 410-955-6406
Pediatric Neurosurgery: 410-955-7337
Already a Patient?
Traveling for Care?
Whether you're crossing the country or the globe, we make it easy to access world-class care at Johns Hopkins.