Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Blaustein Pain Research Fund Grants
Blaustein Pain Research Fund Grants support clinical and basic research in pain conducted within Johns Hopkins Medicine with two grant cycles (Spring and Fall) each year.
Proposals Accepted for Consideration
You can apply for funds to:
- Empower a junior faculty member to develop a research project.
- Advance a project to a point where it can earn external support.
- Complete a small research project.
- Support core personnel such as clinical outcomes coordinators, computer specialists, biostatisticians)
- Keep research activities up and running "between grants.”
Typical awards are for about $25,000 per year, and are intended for direct costs only. Requests should not exceed $50,000.
The Research Grant Committee of the Blaustein Pain Treatment Center reviews applications and makes recommendations to the Center’s director. Proposals are evaluated on these bases:
Synergy with overall pain program
Level of departmental support
Career development potential
History of productivity as predictor of success
Likelihood of research attaining external funding
- Eligible research should relate directly to improving our understanding of the mechanisms, diagnosis, and treatment of pain.
- Faculty member of the Johns Hopkins University with a demonstrated commitment of career interest in pain research are eligible.
- You agree to acknowledge the support of the Blaustein Pain Research Fund in any publication resulting from the research.
- You agree to present a brief progress report at the end of the funding period.
- The results of the selected study will be presented at the Blaustein Pain Treatment Center Grand Rounds.
Proposal Fall 2016
Proposal Requests: March 16, 2016
Proposal Deadline: April 29, 2016
Funding Period: July 1, 2016 -- June 30. 2017
Proposal Spring 2017
Proposal Requests: August 15, 2016
Proposal Deadline: October 7, 2016
Funding Period: January 1, 2017 -- December 31, 2017
How to Submit Your Application
- Research plan page limit: five (5) pages with a font size of 11 or greater. Applications with research plans exceeding this limit will not be reviewed.
- The proposal should use a format similar to that of an NIH research proposal with sections covering Specific Aims, Background and Significance (i.e., rationale), Preliminary Results (if available) or Progress Report (for those requesting an additional year of support), and Research Design and Methods.
- Applicants should state how this research will develop their career and/or lead to external support.
- Please provide an abstract (<300 words), a two page biographical sketch of the applicant and all co-investigators, a budget with justification, and a summary of other ongoing and proposed research support.
- Include a letter from the Department Director that comments on the merit of the proposal and indicates the amount of support to be provided for this research by the department.
- Deliver the original copy of the proposal to the Blaustein Pain Fund Coordinator (Alene Carteret) in Carnegie 500. In addition, please send an electronic copy of the proposal (PDF format) to the Chairman at email@example.com, and the coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
View research that has previously been awarded grants from the Blaustein Pain Research Fund.
Request an Appointment
Adult Neurology: 410-955-9441
Pediatric Neurology: 410-955-4259
Adult Neurosurgery: 410-955-6406
Pediatric Neurosurgery: 410-955-7337
Already a Patient?
Traveling for Care?
Whether you're crossing the country or the globe, we make it easy to access world-class care at Johns Hopkins.