Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA) Center
Dr. Charlotte Sumner
The Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA) Center is a multidisciplinary clinic at The Johns Hopkins Hospital.
- Provide expert and multidisciplinary care to patients with spinal muscular atrophy and related disorders, from infancy through adulthood
- Administer new, FDA-approved treatments
- Participate in multicenter clinical trials of novel SMA therapeutics
- Offer support services to those living with SMA, as well as their families
- Further understand the pathogenesis of SMA through integrating clinical and preclinical studies
- Increase public awareness and educate patients and their families about SMA
- Inspire and train the next generation of researchers and clinicians to address this devastating disorder
On December 23, 2016, the FDA approved nusinersen to treat spinal muscular atrophy. Read more.
Request an Appointment
Adult Neurology: 410-955-9441
Pediatric Neurology: 410-955-4259
Adult Neurosurgery: 410-955-6406
Pediatric Neurosurgery: 410-955-7337
Already a Patient?
Traveling for Care?
Whether you're crossing the country or the globe, we make it easy to access world-class care at Johns Hopkins.