Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Acute Stroke Services
- Transfer to hospital: Patients are transferred to intensive care or acute care depending on their condition. All patients have 24/7 coverage by a neurologist.
- Brain Rescue Unit
- There are 6 beds dedicated to stroke patients.
- The unit is staffed with specially trained neurology nurses, skilled in identifying critical changes in the patient’s condition.
- Safety screenings are performed on all patients for stroke-related conditions. They include swallow screens for dysphagia, orthostatic blood pressures, cardiac monitors for atrial fibrillation and other arrhythmias.
- A team of physicians see stroke patients every weekday.
- Dedicated stroke units, such as the Brain Rescue Unit, provide better patient outcomes.
- Rehab services and evaluation for placement at discharge: Occupational and Physical therapy make recommendations for patient placement for therapy depending on their condition and ability to participate in therapy. Patients can be referred to inpatient or outpatient Physical and Occupational therapy and neuro-rehab. Speech Language Pathologists also evaluate and work with patients on their speech and swallowing difficulties.
- Surgeries to reduce stroke risk
For more information, contact The Johns Hopkins Hospital Stroke Center at 410-955-2228.
If you have questions about the Stroke Prevention And Recovery Center, please call us at 443-287-8514.
Request an Appointment
To request an appointment or refer a patient, please call:
Adult Neurology: 410-955-9441
Pediatric Neurology: 410-955-4259
Adult Neurosurgery: 410-955-6406
Pediatric Neurosurgery: 410-955-7337
Already a Patient?
Traveling for Care?
Whether you're crossing the country or the globe, we make it easy to access world-class care at Johns Hopkins.