Assistant Professor, Division of NephrologyAssociate Faculty, Welch Center for Prevention, Epidemiology, and Clinical Research
Dr. Sozio is an Assistant Professor of Medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. After earning his medical degree from the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Dr. Sozio completed his internship and residency in Internal Medicine at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. Subsequently, he completed fellowship training in Nephrology at Johns Hopkins Hospital and a Master of Health Science in Clinical Epidemiology at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.
Dr. Sozio joined the Hopkins Division of Nephrology faculty in 2009 and serves in educational leadership roles in the medical school and fellowship program.
His research interests include:
1. Chronic kidney disease epidemiology.
2. Risk factors for stroke and cognitive impairment in patients with kidney disease, with a special interest in arterial calcification and stiffness. His research involves the Predictors of Arrhythmic and Cardiovascular Risk in ESRD (PACE) Study, Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) study, and Chronic Renal Insufficiency Cohort (CRIC) study.
3. Comparative effectiveness research in dialysis patients as part of the Developing Evidence to Inform Decisions about Effectiveness (DEcIDE) network.
1. Lucas GM, Eustace JA, Sozio S, Mentari EK, Appiah KA, and Moore RD. “Highly active antiretroviral therapy and the incidence of HIV-1-associated nephropathy: a 12-year cohort study.” AIDS, 2004 Feb; 18(3): 541-6.
2. Segev DL, Sozio SM, Shin EJ, Nazarian SM, Nathan H, Thuluvath PJ, Montgomery RA, Cameron AM, Maley WR. “Steroid Avoidance in Liver Transplantation: Meta-Analysis and Meta-Regression of Randomized Trials.” Liver Transplantation, 2008 Apr; 14(4): 512-25.
3. Sozio SM, Armstrong PA, Coresh J, Jaar BG, Fink NE, Plantinga LC, Powe NR, Parekh RS. “Cerebrovascular Disease Incidence, Characteristics, and Outcomes in Patients Initiating Dialysis: The Choices for Healthy Outcomes in Caring for ESRD (CHOICE) Study.” American Journal of Kidney Diseases, 2009 Sep; 54(3): 468-77.
4. Gottesman RF, Sozio SM. “Management of Symptomatic Carotid Stenosis in Individuals with CKD.” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, 2010 Jan; 21(1).
5. Townsend RR, Chirinos JA, Parsa A, Weir MA, Sozio SM, Lash JP, Chen J, Steigerwalt SP, Go AS, Hsu C, Rafey M, Wright JT, Duckworth MJ, Gadegbeku CA, Nessel LA, Joffe MP. “Central Pulse Pressure in Chronic Kidney Disease.” Hypertension, 2010 Sep; 56(3): 518-24.
6. Scheel PJ, Feeley N, Sozio SM. “Combined Prednisone and Mycophenolate Mofetil Treatment for Retroperitoneal Fibrosis.” Annals of Internal Medicine, 2011 Jan 4;154(1): 31-6.
7. Sozio SM, Coresh J, Jaar BG, Fink NE, Plantinga LC, Armstrong PA, Longenecker JC, Sharrett AR, Powe NR, Parekh RS. “Inflammatory Markers and Risk of Cerebrovascular Events in Patients Initiating Dialysis.” Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, 2011 June; 6(6):1292-300.
8. Geetha D, Sozio SM, Ghanta M, Josephson M, Shapiro R, Dadhania D, Hariharan S. “Results of repeat renal transplantation after graft loss from BK virus nephropathy.” Transplantation, 2011 Oct 15; 92(7): 781-6.
9. Weir MR, Townsend RR, Fink JC, Teal V, Anderson C, Appel L, Chen J, He J, Litbarg N, Ojo A, Rahman M, Rosen L, Sozio SM, Steigerwalt S, Strauss L, Joffe MM. “Hemodynamic correlates of proteinuria in patients with chronic kidney disease: a CRIC ancillary study.” Clin J Am Soc Nephrol, 2011 Oct; 6(10): 2403-10.
10. Crews DC, Sozio SM, Liu Y, Coresh J, Powe NR. “Inflammation and the Paradox of Racial Differences in Dialysis Survival.” J Am Soc Nephrol, 2011 Dec; 22: 2279–2286.
11. Boulware LE, Tangri N, Ephraim PL, Scialla J, Sozio SM, Crews DC, Shafi T, Miskulin D, Liu J, St Peter W, Jaar BG, Wu A, Powe NR, Navaneethan SD, and Bandeen-Roche K for the DEcIDE ESRD Patient Outcomes in End Stage Renal Disease Study Investigators. “Comparative effectiveness studies to improve clinical outcomes in end stage renal disease: The DEcIDE Patient Outcomes in End Stage Renal Disease Study.” BMC Nephrology, 2012 Dec 6;1 3(1): 167.