Dr. Sozio is an Assistant Professor of Medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. After earning his medical degree from the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Dr. Sozio completed his internship and residency in Internal Medicine at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. Subsequently, he completed fellowship training in Nephrology at Johns Hopkins Hospital and a Master of Health Science in Clinical Epidemiology at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. Dr. Sozio joined the Division of Nephrology faculty in 2009 and joined the Welch Center for Prevention, Epidemiology, and Clinical Research as Associate Faculty in 2011.
Dr. Sozio is board certified in Internal Medicine and Nephrology. He is a member of the National Kidney Foundation, American Heart Association, and American College of Physicians and is a Fellow of the American Society of Nephrology.
His research interests include:
1. Chronic kidney disease epidemiology.
2. Risk factors for stroke and cognitive impairment in patients with kidney disease, with a special interest in arterial calcification and stiffness. His research involves the Predictors of Arrhythmic and Cardiovascular Risk in ESRD (PACE) Study, Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) study, and Chronic Renal Insufficiency Cohort (CRIC) study.
3. Comparative effectiveness research in dialysis patients as part of the Developing Evidence to Inform Decisions about Effectiveness (DEcIDE) network. He is project leader examining the effectiveness of antihypertensive medications in this study.
1. Lucas GM, Eustace JA, Sozio S, Mentari EK, Appiah KA, and Moore RD. “Highly active antiretroviral therapy and the incidence of HIV-1-associated nephropathy: a 12-year cohort study.” AIDS, 2004 Feb; 18(3): 541-6.
2. Segev DL, Sozio SM, Shin EJ, Nazarian SM, Nathan H, Thuluvath PJ, Montgomery RA, Cameron AM, Maley WR. “Steroid Avoidance in Liver Transplantation: Meta-Analysis and Meta-Regression of Randomized Trials.” Liver Transplantation, 2008 Apr; 14(4): 512-25.
3. Sozio SM, Armstrong PA, Coresh J, Jaar BG, Fink NE, Plantinga LC, Powe NR, Parekh RS. “Cerebrovascular Disease Incidence, Characteristics, and Outcomes in Patients Initiating Dialysis: The Choices for Healthy Outcomes in Caring for ESRD (CHOICE) Study.” American Journal of Kidney Diseases, 2009 Sep; 54(3): 468-77; epub 2009 Apr 19; PMCID: PMC2744381.
4. Plantinga LC, Fink NE, Coresh J, Sozio SM, Parekh RS, Melamed ML, Powe NR, Jaar BG. “Peripheral Vascular Disease-Related Procedures in Dialysis Patients: Predictors and Prognosis.” Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, 2009 Oct; 4(10): 1637-45; epub 2009 Aug 13; PMCID: PMC2758260.
5. Gottesman RF, Sozio SM. “Management of Symptomatic Carotid Stenosis in Individuals with CKD.” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, 2010 Jan; 21(1): 9-11; epub 2009 Dec 3.
6. Townsend RR, Chirinos JA, Parsa A, Weir MA, Sozio SM, Lash JP, Chen J, Steigerwalt SP, Go AS, Hsu C, Rafey M, Wright JT, Duckworth MJ, Gadegbeku CA, Nessel LA, Joffe MP. “Central Pulse Pressure in Chronic Kidney Disease.” Hypertension, 2010 Sep; 56(3): 518-24; epub 2010 Jul 26; PMCID: PMC2941985.
7. Scheel PJ, Feeley N, Sozio SM. “Combined Prednisone and Mycophenolate Mofetil Treatment for Retroperitoneal Fibrosis.” Annals of Internal Medicine, 2011 Jan 4;154(1): 31-6.
8. Sozio SM, Coresh J, Jaar BG, Fink NE, Plantinga LC, Armstrong PA, Longenecker JC, Sharrett AR, Powe NR, Parekh RS. “Inflammatory Markers and Risk of Cerebrovascular Events in Patients Initiating Dialysis.” Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, 2011 June; In Press.