Dr. Crews is an Assistant Professor of Medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. After earning her medical degree from Saint Louis University School of Medicine,Dr. Crews completed her internship and residency in Internal Medicine on the Osler Medical Service at Johns Hopkins Hospital. Subsequently, she completed fellowship training in Nephrology at Johns Hopkins Hospital and a master of science in clinical epidemiology at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. Dr. Crews joined the Division of Nephrology faculty in 2009.
Dr. Crews serves as a member of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Chronic Kidney Disease Surveillance Team. She is also a scholar of the Harold Amos Medical Faculty Development Program of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and a fellow of the American Society of Nephrology.
1. Chronic kidney disease epidemiology
2. Racial/ethnic and socioeconomic disparities in chronic kidney disease
3. Timing and location of dialysis initiation
4. Patient preparedness for the start of renal replacement therapy
1. Jaar B., Plantinga L., Crews D., Fink N., Hebah N. Coresh J., Kliger A., Powe N. Timing, Causes, Predictors and Prognosis of Switching from Peritoneal Dialysis to Hemodialysis: A Prospective Study. BMC Nephrology, 2009 Feb 6; 10 (1):3.
2. Crews D., Jaar B., Plantinga L., Kassem H., Fink N., Powe N. Inpatient Hemodialysis Initiation: Reasons, Risk Factors and Outcomes. Nephron Clinical Practice, 2009 Oct 9; 114(1):c19-c28.
3. Plantinga L., Crews D., Coresh J., Miller E., Saran R., Yee J., Hedgeman E., Parkov M., Eberhardt M., Williams D., Powe N. for the CDC CKD Surveillance Team. Prevalence of Chronic Kidney Disease in U.S. Adults with Undiagnosed or Pre-Diabetes. Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, 2010 Apr; 5(4): 673-682. Accompanying Editorial.
4. Crews D., Plantinga L., Miller E., Saran R., Hedgeman E., Saydah S., Williams D., Powe N. for the CDC CKD Surveillance Team. Prevalence of Chronic Kidney Disease in Persons with Undiagnosed or Pre-Hypertension in the United States. Hypertension, 2010 May; 55(5): 1102-1109. Accompanying Editorial.
5. Crews D., Charles R., Evans M., Zonderman A., Powe N. Poverty, Race and CKD in a Racially and Socioeconomically Diverse Urban Population. American Journal of Kidney Diseases, 2010 Jun; 55(6): 992-1000. Accompanying Editorial.
6. Kalyani R., Stein B., Valiyil R., Manno R., Maynard J., Crews D. Vitamin D Treatment for the Prevention of Falls in Older Adults: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 2010 Jul; 58(7): 1299-1310.
7. Brotman D, Bash L., Qayyum, Crews D., Whitsel E., Astor B., Coresh J. Heart Rate Variability Predicts ESRD and CKD-Related Hospitalization. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, 2010 Jul 8.
8. Plantinga L., Johansen K., Crews D., Shahinian V., Robinson B., Saran R., Rios Burrows N., Williams D., Powe N. for the CDC CKD Surveillance Team. Chronic Kidney Disease Is Associated with Higher Rates of Disability in the United States. In Press, American Journal of Kidney Diseases, 2010.