Body Fluids, Sterile (except urine and cerebrospinal fluid)
- Prepare the skin as for blood cultures.
- Collect the fluid using a sterile needle and syringe.
- For aerobic and anaerobic organisms, submit 10 ml in a sterile container.
- Blood culture bottles may be filled following the blood culture collection procedure when additional fluid is available. In this case, additional fluid is also needed for gram stain requests.
- For viral isolation, send 3 ml or less fluid in a sterile vial (1 ml minimum).
- If tuberculosis or fungal infections are suspected, collect a minimum of 5 ml of fluid into a sterile container.
- Transport immediately.
- DO NOT SEND STERILE BODY FLUIDS ON SWABS.