Association of Women Student MD-PhDs (AWSM)
Who We Are
We are a group of MD/PhD students at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine who aim to promote the success, recognition, and excellence of women in academic medicine. We welcome all allies, both male and female, to learn more about our goals and to join us in our efforts.
Student Leaders: Wan Yang, Eliah Shamir, Carolina Montano, Bipasha Mukherjee-Clavin, Bridget Keenan & Emily Heikamp
Faculty Sponsor: Janet Siliciano
Faculty Advisory Board: Mary Armanios, Andrea Cox & Carol Greider
Our mission is to support the professional development and academic advancement of fellow women MD/PhD students. We seek to deliver and increase access to programming that addresses our specific needs in pursuit of careers in both research and clinical medicine. As a minority among dual degree candidates, we face unique challenges in achieving work-life balance and in finding appropriate female role models in top positions. We aim to address barriers to women’s advancement at periods throughout our training in order to promote women’s important roles as leaders and vital contributors to the fields of science and medicine. Our goals are to:
- Address specific challenges faced by women MD-PhD students during their career paths through professional development lectures, courses, and workshops.
- Identify physician scientist role models within the Johns Hopkins community that can serve as mentors to female students in the MD-PhD program.
- Promote continual dialogue among women students and faculty through informal networking and social events.
- Foster a collegial and nurturing atmosphere in which female students can empower and support one another.
- Support increased recruitment of highly qualified female candidates into the MD-PhD training program.
The next AWSM potluck dinner will be held on August 30, 2012. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to RSVP.
Office of Women in Science & Medicine, JHMI
Hopkins AMWA chapter (under Activity Groups/Societies)
AMWA national website
Association for Women in Science (AWIS) national website
“Like” us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/AssociationOfWomenStudentMDPhDsJHMI